Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT V6 A/C Relay - No Power

BrisVt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore 50th Anniversary
Hey guys, first post but long time snoop. This forum has been a god send on multiple occasions, so thanks in advance.

Today I had my compressor regased after replacing it along with the TX valve and drier, all seals are perfect with no leaks.
The biggest problem was whilst he was testing for leaks he discovered that there is no power what so ever getting to the a/c relay (not the fuse)
all a/c controls on the dash work, fan also works and switches on, blows hot but not cold. The clutch on the a/c just wont kick in as there is obviously no power to the compressor. in the end he decided to fill up the system with gas instead of me having to pay again. The question here is, has anyone ever experienced this before or know why there would be no power getting to the relay?

Thanks
Daniel...
VT V6 Commodore 1998

BrisVt

Reaction score
Members Ride
So after a long weekend I found the problem.

My engine light came on after having it regassed, when it had never came on before. the codes were - 32 Air flow sensor (voltage out of range) and 97 Canister purge solenoid - I traced it all back to the 15A Engine Sensor Fuse which is located in the fuse box under the bonnet which was blown. When I replaced the fuse the engine light went off but only until I switched the A/C on which blew the fuse again. The clutch on the compressor kicks in for a split second before the fuse blows. The compressor is new I purchased it of Ebay AIR Conditioning Compressor Drier TX Valve Fits Holden Commodore VT VX VY V6 | eBay . I have no idea where to go from here!

BrisVt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Problem Solved!

It would seem the compressor clutch is drawing to many Amps (Have not tested Amp draw yet). When I start the A/C on HOT the clutch kicks in without any problems, I can then turn the A/C to COLD without any problems. I may need to go with rewiring the compressor to a higher rated fuse separate from the Engine Sensor Fuse.

BrisVt

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm yet to trace the wiring, but when I remove the Engine Sensors Fuse (#33 under the bonnet) the clutch won't kick in and I get fault codes 32 and 97. I don't have another VT around to test for similarities.