Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT V6, Cam Upgrade... Worth it?

Riggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
'98 VT Acclaim Sedan
just wondering, iv'e got a pretty much stock VT V6, and i'm thinkin about doing some upgrades, i've already got a 2.5" cat back exhaust on it and i'm now thinking about a cam upgrade or rockers. i'm definitely gonna get some headers soon. but just wondering what you guys think i should do and how much it will cost, and where to get them from, i'll most likely be fitting everything myself (dad's a mechanic and i've got a mate who races and works on sprintcars) so fitting costs not included.

any feedback will be awesome,

cheers

johnvtls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
E92 BWM 335I
yep i reckon if ur doing all the work urself it is. but make sure u get somthing pretty big. plus ull need some head work most likley and a tune or a chip but i hear there pretty average. but with a big cam ull need diff gears or a stallie. and after all that ull be lucky to get around 145rwkws. all depends on how big the cam is and wat u do to the heads and how good the tune is.

Riggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
'98 VT Acclaim Sedan
what if i were to put both the cam and rockers on? and where would you suggest i get them from?

also would i have to get my computer reset or something?

cheers

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
Im pritty sure you will need a tune with a cam, but to reset the ECU all you do is disconnect the battery mate.

For the cam im not sure havnt looked into it personally, though go yella terra for rockers.

LJS-UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY6 Ute
mate id go with crow cams, yella terra rockers.

will certainly need a tune with a cam and MAYBE head work. It is also possible you will need to get a new chip.

johnvtls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
E92 BWM 335I
yes a tune is needed. and rockers. u wont need both just get a big cam and thats it. i went with crow but i reckon go with a wade cam. my cars pretty decent even though it hasnt been tuned or anything yet but if i had picked a better cam it would be much better. i have a stage 3 crow cam btw. also yes head work is a must to see any good gains. get em shaved to up compression but dont if u think ur gonna charge it later on down the track or else ur gonna need to get different heads. so think about ti before u do it.

LJS-UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY6 Ute
well said, i wouldnt even go for a new cam if you do plan on supercharging it though, in my own opinion, its too much extra money to spend for little reward, i would just go the cheaper option and get some yella terra ultra light rockers, less friction with the roller rockers results in more power anyway, but hey, thats just me, if you want to run any higher than 10psi from a charger the stock heads wont handle the compression even after they are ported to the max so i have been told. ill probarbly get flamed for this reply hahaha...

Riggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
'98 VT Acclaim Sedan
wow, thanks for the responses guys.
now all i have to do is weigh up what i'm gonna do...

thanks again!

roy38

Reaction score
Members Ride
thunder
Man u dont need rockers u already have em, higher ratio wont do squat for the cash, secondly u dont need headwork until ur goin stupid with power and shaving them does nuthin for compression, u can only shave them heads so much before they are rooted. Thirdly throw out ur cat back junk and get tuned length headers and exhaust and hi flow cat/s. And lastly u can get a cam with better valve springs and a memcal for margainlly more cash negating the need for any tuning. 1500 for the cam package and labour yourself and ur lookin at 180 to 200 hp at the wheels, dependin in ur exhaust.