Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt v6 exhaust

patfm_94

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT executive S1
I have the Lukey 2.5" catback with no rear resonator on my vt and it's bot too bad and doesn't drone it's actually very quiet at 2000 rpm (100 k's on the highway)

Last edited by a moderator:

tyrefryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodores!
I have no idea why people are saying no rear res will drone!
its a V6...i've driven probably 100 of these cars and the only ones that ever droned were cars missing the centre muffler.
stock exhaust with a rear muffler chopped out does drone a bit under light accel but to hear a 2.5 drone you need to hold ~25% throttle which you wouldnt do for very long.

AbbaFan, i believe what you say as i think i have read it somewhere and i used to put stock exhausts on for pit passes.
I took a chance one day though with a car with a 2.5 lukey (no Rear res) and it passed.
Ever since iv never swapped a V6 exhaust for pits and most guys wont even bother testing because at idle there is no way it would come anywhere near 91dB.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You were lucky then, if the inspector was going by the book he would have knocked it back simply because it only had one muffler when, by law, it requires two. Also, the way to do a proper EPA noise test is never at idle.

It also depends on your tolerance and definition of "drone". Drive up a hill without a rear resonator and tell me it doesn't drone....

tyrefryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodores!
I see you point, i regard drone as being something you hear at a steady cruise. no rear res will "drone" up a hill but some people go for that.

As i said i have read that rule, i guess there arent many inspectors who worry about that one, iv passed several cars over with one.
also never had a dB test at anything other than idle....i always understood the rule to be 90dB as a stationary, idle vehicle

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
My Old VR only had a Centre muffler and the drone it had was very annoying, thats all you could here, but loved that it crackled when you put your foot to the floor.

So i was correct about the single muffler law ! Not saying they even check or care but i have a rear resi on both cars to be sure !

As for the DB Limit, No its not just at idle, The Cops have a chart used depending on the size and type of motor, so they stick a little device at the exhaust to hold their at 45° from the exhaust like 50cm away. Then rev the car to the spec sheet, From memory like 3000 rpm

Edit - FOUND THE COMPLETE GUIDE ! - http://www.ntc.gov.au/filemedia/Reports/NatStatExhaustNoiseTestSept2006.pdf

Last edited: