Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt v6 head gasket or inlet manifold?

jimbojones889

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VR Executive Wagon
Hi guys,

Just wanting some advice on whether I have a head gasket or inlet manifold gasket problem.

Got some sludgy stuff under the rad cap, and slowly the oil seams to be getting low. No milky stuff under the oil cap and the temp is fine. Not losing coolant. Mecanic reckons its the head gasket but I dont have a clue what to believe, first it was the inlet now its the head gasket? What do we think?

Thanks.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Get a compression test done. If the compression is fine on all cylinders I'd be leaning towards manifold gasket since its such a common issue

elmaso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina
does it take a little more to kick over? and does it look like its throwing out water from the exhaust?

Mohi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy commodore executive S2
Same happened to me last week , all fixed and was the maifold gaskit , if you look in my posts under the name WHAT IS This SLUDGE... It got all pics and stuff.. Might help.

Would had copied the link but replying thru iphone.. So sorry

vnkid

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Calais
I'd say Inlet, because your oil is getting low as it's being sucked out in the vacuum created by the cooling system. No milky stuff would suggest it might not be the head gasket and the coolant is not getting low, but i'm sure it's getting very dirty. Replace the inlet manifold gasket first (job should be under $300 with a flush) and see how that goes.

jimbojones889

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VR Executive Wagon
Inlet gasket was pretty screwed according to the "new" mechanic. Bolts were pretty loose as well, so heres hoping itsjust that and nothing else. Thanks for the advice