Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT V6 intermittent starting problem

nathan173

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
Hello, I've got a V6 VT and about half the time it will have starting trouble. Once its running there is no problems at all. This has been happening for months since I hooked up a manual electric window (and disturbed the BCM wiring).

I turn the key and it will begin to start then die, I'll try again and again, sometimes it almost starts then dies, eventually I keep trying and it will go.
Sometimes I reach under the dash and tug the BCM cables and it seems to help, but I could be imagining things.

I've had error 92 for a long time that won't go away even though I thought I fixed the problem by changing a relay. Testing it today, the fan on the passenger side turned on at 105deg or something, not sure if its the low or high speed fan. The other fan didn't turn on at all.

Unplugged and sprayed all connectors with CRC, Cleared the codes and the problem still happens even though no error 92 this time.

One other thing, today messing about with it I started the car then I turned it off immediately and everything went dead. All I would only hear a faint click and the odometer went blank when I turned the key, everything else was completely dead until I replugged the battery. It happened one more time, but now its back to normal (with the intermittent starting problem that is).

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
As for error code 92, did you replace it with a genuine Holden relay or aftermarket? Aftermarket are often wired differently even though the pins match up.
I'm a bit confused about the term "manual electric windows".

nathan173

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
As for error code 92, did you replace it with a genuine Holden relay or aftermarket? Aftermarket are often wired differently even though the pins match up.
I'm a bit confused about the term "manual electric windows".

I replaced the relays with ones from a working VT calais wreck I have.

I should have said DIY, ie electric window from another car made to work even though it has a low level BCM.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Check the main plug at the radiator where both fans plug in, the plug for the low speed fan has a tendency to burn out.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
fault 92 indicates that bcm did not turn on fan 1 (passenger side) relay
it is checking the output from the bcm to the relay
even if you disconnect the plug at the fan it will not set a code
unsure how it determines the bcm output.
change of voltage or current draw to relay
so i suspect even removing relay will not set code
as for dead display, suspect battery/terminals

nathan173

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
Fault 92 hasn't showed up again, but I suspect it will eventually. I have noticed the fan plugs are all greasy, and sprayed them (and everything else) with CRC.
Tried all kinds of things isolating the starting fault, but now I think if I press the unlock button it will start correctly, but only time will tell if that is true or not.
Possible problem with the ignition barrel?