Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT V6 overheading

BPX-31H

Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 vz sv6
yeeep! all over the framework, and even lifted paint up with its heat im guessingg..

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
pressure test it and confirm is a heater tap
but is made off the same material as your radiator side tanks could be that too,
is not uncommon to have multiple leaks because all plastic in the cooling system is the same and under the same pressure!~

i wont guess on cooling systems in these because overheating or low oil is the 2 killers of these motors
+1 pressure test first

schrinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive 9C1
well i got the mechanic this arvo, pulled over twice on the way...took me an hour to get from bayswater to lilydale...if anyone knows its really only about 20mins all because temp gauge kept climbing and because its an iron block it takes forever to cool down...so far in 2 days i have put around 10L of water in the thing....praying its not something chronic or something expensive...what really annoys me is i have looked after this car rather well...i only checked the radiator and levels about 2 weeks ago....GRRRR

schrinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
when my heater tap went it didnt start off with a fine spray....it went from not leaking to steam coming from the bonnet and dumping 10L of coolant on the road :D no mucking around here! lol

so far thankfully it hasnt done that yet...i think i may have just caught it in time...if it wasnt for the damn train at bayswater station getting stuck over the road i wouldnt have noticed it! it may have made me late for work...but 10mins late is better than a new engine cause i cooked one...

dylanstone

tsu tsu tsu tsu
Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L 1997 VT executive
its the heater tap, mine literally did the exact same thing where you cant trace any leak

get ur mechanic to bypass the heater tap or core not sure which one it was and feed the hose that exits the left of your engine in a "U" straight back into the same side below where it exits. it costs like 1000 plus or somes**t to repair so thats why i get them to to that, been running for 6 months fine

up to you though lol

schrinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
its the heater tap, mine literally did the exact same thing where you cant trace any leak

get ur mechanic to bypass the heater tap or core not sure which one it was and feed the hose that exits the left of your engine in a "U" straight back into the same side below where it exits. it costs like 1000 plus or somes**t to repair so thats why i get them to to that, been running for 6 months fine

up to you though lol
ive been meaning to do the heater core myself, they are a bitch of a job and i havnt got any money atm....maybe i will just take it off the cost of what i owe dad for his car...cause the heater core has been on the way out for about 3 years....he was to tight to fix it...now he will have to deal with it!! :p

shdai

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE Clubsport R8 317/ VT Commodore exec 5 SPD
how long do heater taps usually last cos of course mines doing the same thing atm (rises in temp rapidly and no coolant left but no leaks). i replaced my heater tap about 10 months ago

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
pressure test sytem or your wasting your money worth the cost of having it diagnosed then replace the failed parts yourselves...