Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt v8 and v6 powersteering hose differences?

HSV08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV SENATOR SIGNATURE
Hay guys

So ive got a powersteering rack from a vt-vx v6,
what i want to know is i know the v8 powersteering hoses dont fit the v6 rack ( return line is same size but the high pressure one is different)

To run a v6 rack in a v8 (304 not ls1) do i need to run a v6 high pressure hose? and if so is the coupling side to the pump the same as a v8 or do they need to be modifyed?

If they dont fit what are people using?

Calais5l

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp Calais & vb sle
Vt series 1 v6 racks are same as vt 5.0 rack so confirm if your v6 rack is s1 or s2

Possible differences are
serial number before e044150 s1
fine thread s1 course thread s2

Otherwise maybe worth a shop around because the pumps and hoses are going to be very different i would think

HSV08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV SENATOR SIGNATURE
Vt series 1 v6 racks are same as vt 5.0 rack so confirm if your v6 rack is s1 or s2

Possible differences are
serial number before e044150 s1
fine thread s1 course thread s2

Otherwise maybe worth a shop around because the pumps and hoses are going to be very different i would think

i understand that the vt s2 onward are a course thread and thats fine as im using the complete rack and tie rod ends so everything matches,
My qeustion is regarding the high pressure hoe though.
The Low pressure hose is has the same diameter thread to the rack, but the high pressure hose thread (rack end) is to small.
Hence why i would like to know if the high pressure v6 thread (pump side) is the same diameter as the v8 pump?
There is bound to be guys out there running v6 racks in there v8s so what did you guys do hose wise?

Calais5l

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp Calais & vb sle
The point to my post is if you can find or have a v6 series one rack you dont need to muck around with hoses as it is a direct fit series 1 v6 and v8 5.0 is same rack

Reading your post makes me think you have a series 2 v6 rack, the hose is a different shape maybe you could take your v8 hose and a v6 one and they could put the v6 end on your existing v8 hose. Id look for a good series 1 rack though then its all standard in case it lets go later on

HSV08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV SENATOR SIGNATURE
The point to my post is if you can find or have a v6 series one rack you dont need to muck around with hoses as it is a direct fit series 1 v6 and v8 5.0 is same rack

Reading your post makes me think you have a series 2 v6 rack, the hose is a different shape maybe you could take your v8 hose and a v6 one and they could put the v6 end on your existing v8 hose. Id look for a good series 1 rack though then its all standard in case it lets go later on
Ah ok sorry I thought you were talking about the rack tie rod ends being the same on a series 1 didn't realise you meant the hoses to. But to confirm it was out of a vx so was a later model rack. Would that then mean that the ls1 and vts2 ecotec onward hoses were the same?