Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt v8 or turbo?

hosedogg

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl sl 5spd 6 n/a turbo convert '88
the vt 5L has 179kw (flywheel) and 400nm:yeah: if i opted for the v8 would i be better of with the auto? my car's a manual now and i dont really want an auto though. i'm leaning towards the v8 option as with the turbo i would hate to hit mid corner and lose it. oh and i've got a mate who can get me the vt v8 with auto, loom and ecu for $2,000. he said $5,000 with the manual. cheers.

dan_man31

now projecting oh yeah :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
vf ss-v 6spd ute
i thought the vt was the first to come out with the choice of either 5.0litre or the 5.7 gen ? and looking around i found some vn, vr efi v8's for $1200 as im keen to do the same conversion and $4500 for a vn worked efi complete with box and diff.. doesnt sound to crazy and i think it would definetly be worth it:D

tell me wat you decide

Dan

Last edited:

SUSPECT

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.calaisturbo.com.au
Members Ride
SUZUKI GSX-R 1000 k8
the vt 5L has 179kw (flywheel) and 400nm:yeah: if i opted for the v8 would i be better of with the auto? my car's a manual now and i dont really want an auto though. i'm leaning towards the v8 option as with the turbo i would hate to hit mid corner and lose it. oh and i've got a mate who can get me the vt v8 with auto, loom and ecu for $2,000. he said $5,000 with the manual. cheers.

179at the fly is only like 140-150rw tho dude could have so much more fun with a turbo u just need 2 kno how 2 drive lol

hosedogg

Reaction score
Members Ride
yes the vt did have a 5.7 option.

179at the fly is only like 140-150rw tho dude could have so much more fun with a turbo u just need 2 kno how 2 drive lol

shouldn't really take to much to get 200 though you wouldn't think. if i turboed my engine would my spark plugs be alright? i know both turbo and n/a have the same gap, but one is colder (not sure which one). i only just put iridium's in thats all. i'd prob be better of with turbo. i've got an xf tb sitting in the garage ready to go on also. would 2.5" exhaust be bigger enough for turbo? would my non turbo manual be able to hold? what about my diff? brakes will be getting overhauled no matter what. cheers.

cohn

VN28CN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais Turbo
with the turbo option you will need vl turbo front brakes/vn v8 or like a vt upgrade to comply with adr.
v8 you will need bigger sway bar in the front and maybe brakes, dunno if they came bigger in the vl's.
the sparkplugs will bhe alright to begin with but they will die out very quickly.
2.5 exhaust wouldnt be too bad, but if you want the 200rwkw you will need alot of mods and money to get it there: injectors computer, intercooler, bigger turbo, pistons and your looking at big $$$.
im am running a non turbo box behind mine atm and it should be alright if i don't flog the crap out of it.
it will probaly cost you about the same which ever way you go if you want the 200rwkw mark and still have reliability. but the turbo would probaly be slightly cheaper on fuel running around. thats y i opted for this option.

SUSPECT

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.calaisturbo.com.au
Members Ride
SUZUKI GSX-R 1000 k8
yes the vt did have a 5.7 option.

shouldn't really take to much to get 200 though you wouldn't think. if i turboed my engine would my spark plugs be alright? i know both turbo and n/a have the same gap, but one is colder (not sure which one). i only just put iridium's in thats all. i'd prob be better of with turbo. i've got an xf tb sitting in the garage ready to go on also. would 2.5" exhaust be bigger enough for turbo? would my non turbo manual be able to hold? what about my diff? brakes will be getting overhauled no matter what. cheers.

your 5spd would hold up for a while, just really depends on how u drive same with the diff and ur breaks, well find a vl turbo diff and that will fix 2 problems at the same time, 2.5" exhaust will b fine but 3" all the way thru is the go

hosedogg

Reaction score
Members Ride
well i'll prob more then likely go turbo, because i dont really want all the added weight of a v8 over the front. will be getting vt front brakes and a turbo diff and an r33 manual. thrust bearing went a fair while ago and i think the other bearings are starting to follow now. with a vl turbo making 200rwkw would a 3" exhaust be best suited or would a 3.5" be better suited? just dont want to change things to something if something else would be better. cheers.

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
3.5", because once you get to 200rwkw, you will want more.

hosedogg

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks mate. just took me 1st step and ordered a vt brake upgrade:D cant wait for them to get here. cheers.