Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt/vu how do you replace cat converter

sunshine the vu

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 vu ute
Hey everyone so i just found out my cat converter has **** itself and im gonna give a crack at replacing myself anyone have any tips like should i replace the gaskets while im at it or anything is much appreciated even a link to a thread on how to do it thanks guys

Last edited:

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
The cat is welded onto the y pipe.... So I assume you mean your getting one from the wreckers? In which case yes new gaskets are a good idea new hangers would help too but up to you...

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
Or be a redneck and use 2x12" extensions and a hammer to smash/crumble the cells. Best to do it with y pipe removed but I don't see a prob doing it still on the car.
Rev engine hard to clear cat out, re attach rest of system n good to go.

Just a quick cheap fix

sunshine the vu

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 vu ute
sorry for the bad description but yes the Y-piece how do i remove it? and is there only one gasket? the one that is between the cat and the tailpipe? or is there more ive got one from the wreckers ready to put in on the weekend

sunshine the vu

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 vu ute
This is what ive gathered so far remove negative battery terminal unlplug o2 sensores from each side jack car onto stand unbolt cat flange from tailpipe then unbolt the 2 y piece ends off the manifold drop out and reverse putting back in but put a new gasket between the cat and the rear tail pipe am i correct in doing it like that if anyone can comfirm this id be forever gratefull

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Only thing i'd add to those steps, after unplugging the o2's remove them from the exhaust, just saves them catching on something and risking damage to them.
Unbolt the cat and rear section of the exhaust before undoing the flanges (and tie it up out of the way, rope around the tailshaft).

Soak the flange studs/nuts, soak them again and soak them again with crc or whatever you use while doing the rest, you don't want a stud to break (if you have a propane torch hit them with that before undoing as well).

sunshine the vu

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 vu ute
Okay cheers and the y piece actually has part of the tips that go up into the manifold yeah?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Almost, the ends are flared. Manifold sits in that.

sunshine the vu

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 vu ute
Okay cheers guys i should work it out as i go seems pretty simple and straight foward