Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT VX DASH CLUSTER

VTCOMMODORE99

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Acclaim Series 1 V6 3.8L
Hi,

Was wanting to know if a VX dash cluster can be used in a VT and if they do, is there any thing that needs to match up, etc. ? Also, could I upgrade from a single windows dash to a triple window dash?

Thanks.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Yes and yes , but you need to get it programmed to suit your car . For instance if your car doesn't have a passenger air bag and the car it came out of does then it will throw a fault code . Also the kilometres travelled stay with the cluster so if you car has done 100,000 kays and the car the cluster came out of has done 2000,000 kays then thats what will be displayed .

VTCOMMODORE99

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've got a dash cluster out of a 2000 VX acclaim and will put it in a 1999 VT acclaim, I think the VX has side airbags whereas the VT doesn't

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
Agree with Dayvo. Don't forget to disconnect the battery beforehand or it'll also throw an airbag fault and if you have access to the donor vehicle you can tell by the module under the centre console whether it's a two or four airbag module. Equally the seats will have the SRS loom running to them which are yellow and it would have side airbag sensors in the B pillar. You'll need a Tech2 or similar to reset the SRS warning light/alarm and reprogram for 2 airbags if the donor vehicle was a 4 airbag system so auto electrician job most likely. I haven't had it done in the last five years but my sparky used to charge $10 to do it. TBH I thought only the Calais and Stato had 4 airbags but I could be mistaken. It won't be hard to work out. Oh also you need it reprogrammed if you're going from V8 to V6 or vice versa or the tacho will be inaccurate.

VTCOMMODORE99

Reaction score
Members Ride
Agree with Dayvo. Don't forget to disconnect the battery beforehand or it'll also throw an airbag fault and if you have access to the donor vehicle you can tell by the module under the centre console whether it's a two or four airbag module. Equally the seats will have the SRS loom running to them which are yellow and it would have side airbag sensors in the B pillar. You'll need a Tech2 or similar to reset the SRS warning light/alarm and reprogram for 2 airbags if the donor vehicle was a 4 airbag system so auto electrician job most likely. I haven't had it done in the last five years but my sparky used to charge $10 to do it. TBH I thought only the Calais and Stato had 4 airbags but I could be mistaken. It won't be hard to work out. Oh also you need it reprogrammed if you're going from V8 to V6 or vice versa or the tacho will be inaccurate.
I did a little research and the VX has four airbags whereas the VT only had 2, both cars are V6, how much would an average cost be for an auto elec to reset an airbag code and to re-program the dash for just 2 airbags?

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
I did a little research and the VX has four airbags whereas the VT only had 2, both cars are V6, how much would an average cost be for an auto elec to reset an airbag code and to re-program the dash for just 2 airbags?

Cheers. Good to know.

Ring around but as I said, my guy used to charge $10. It literally takes 5 minutes. I wouldn't be too happy to pay more than $20 for the 5 minutes work they'll do plugging in the tech2, sitting in your drivers seat and pressing a few buttons.

VTCOMMODORE99

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers. Good to know.

Ring around but as I said, my guy used to charge $10. It literally takes 5 minutes. I wouldn't be too happy to pay more than $20 for the 5 minutes work they'll do plugging in the tech2, sitting in your drivers seat and pressing a few buttons.
Ok, thanks for the info, I will ring my local auto elecs for prices.