Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT, VX or VY

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi All,

A friend of mine is looking to buy a second-hand Commodore, his budget is $5K and he is looking for a car with less than 150,000kms. He is considering a VT, VX or VY and I was wondering what people's recommendations would be if they had to pick one of these models.

Are there any pros/cons he should be aware of with any of these models and anything he should try and avoid. My thoughts were to go the VY personal and maybe take a look at the car auctions and see if a VZ might be available for that price. I would be interested to hear other people's thoughts/recommendations.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
VXII or VY would be my choice. You can snap these up in good nick below 150k for under $5k. There's no real major concerns with these cars, it's a fairly proven drivetrain aside all the usual little stuff, LIM gaskets and front end caster/LCA issues come to mind. You'd be mad not to get an inspection for a couple hundred.

Moving into a VZ for $5k will limit your options, higher kms and chances of known issues around timing chain stretch on the Alloytec.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
yup VXII or VY as above.

billy bob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SV6
Don't get a VT. I had one. Cause there the first of a new model they haven't got the bugs out of em.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
yup VXII or VY as above.

Did my research (you could try it) and came down to these 2. Got a VXII Acclaim with more Ks than I wanted tho cos of requirements, location and timing.

Haven't had it long enough to give a good opinion except that it's got good economy on H'way and the dash isn't exactly inspiring. Spent my change on some bling.