Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] [VT/VX/VY/VZ/VE] Everything to know about OBD2 (ELM327) Diagnostic Cables

DinkyDonka

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH International
Hey all!

Sorry to revive a dead-ish thread but i have 2 quick questions for everyone :)

1) My 1.5a OBD USB connection seems to work fine for only Touchscan, however it intermittently loses connection randomly to the engine (WH LS1 no mods). It's not a wiring issue (that i can see) as when it's running i have tried moving the usb connection on the laptop and at the diagnostic port itself which doesn't disconnect or show any symptoms whatsoever. It just seems to de-sync whenever it feels like and not sure if this points towards a Laptop, Touchscan, Port issue?

2) I've tried the 0.1v free version of Software on Elm Street yet when it tries to connect using the correct settings it doesn't seem to actually DO anything. It will attempt to connect but then instantly stop as if nothing happened :/

I don't seem to have any issues or error codes (Thank god) so i was really just looking to use the cable/software to log a long trip to gather some data out of curiosity as i like to tinker with thins and hace a Comp Sci degree haha So these things fascinate me :p

Thanks!

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Hey all!

Sorry to revive a dead-ish thread but i have 2 quick questions for everyone :)

1) My 1.5a OBD USB connection seems to work fine for only Touchscan, however it intermittently loses connection randomly to the engine (WH LS1 no mods). It's not a wiring issue (that i can see) as when it's running i have tried moving the usb connection on the laptop and at the diagnostic port itself which doesn't disconnect or show any symptoms whatsoever. It just seems to de-sync whenever it feels like and not sure if this points towards a Laptop, Touchscan, Port issue?

2) I've tried the 0.1v free version of Software on Elm Street yet when it tries to connect using the correct settings it doesn't seem to actually DO anything. It will attempt to connect but then instantly stop as if nothing happened :/

I don't seem to have any issues or error codes (Thank god) so i was really just looking to use the cable/software to log a long trip to gather some data out of curiosity as i like to tinker with thins and hace a Comp Sci degree haha So these things fascinate me :p

Thanks!

As Im sure you must have read in this thread. Not all ELM devices are made equal. The cheaper they are, the worse they get as the chinese factories will skip out on parts and also use older firmware ect which leads to all sorts of problems.

So to answer your questions :)

1) Sounds like an unhappy cable processing errors + Touchscan is probably not dealing with errors correctly.

2) The purpose of the free version of SOE is to check if the cable being used is supported. If you cannot connect, then its most likely your cable is not supported! As of today (12/9/2016), I would say about 90% of the cables found on Ebay/Amazon ect are not suitable as they use non-genuine software (Its a hack job) or are missing parts causing connectivity issues. I get mine custom developed direct from my manufacturer which has been taylor made to ensure compatibility with my software.

If you do not get a message saying "Successfully Connected" after clicking connect. Then you cable most likely doesnt support the required commands for SOE.

Skipper2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore Executive, 2005
Ok, trying to work through all this diagnostic data here!
My question is would a $30 ScanTool 425801 OBD link SX USB with free software for windows laptops and tablets that works on all cars produced after 1996 in the US read the Commodore codes here? I know its basic but as long as it can diagnose the common faults , relay them to me, and allow me to remove them after I have repaired the fault it would be handy.

Beksta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
I have a 2001 VX V6 Executive and as far i read i can use the OBD2 system for fault code diagnostic and clearing , yes ?

PaulMarc

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 HSV Clubsport 5.7 litre Manual
Trying to purchase your software but havent had a reply from you on your site.

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
I purchased the elm cable an used the SOE and paid for the BD Software licensed but can't connect with my OBD2 do I need to buy the obd1

Viffer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
I purchased the elm cable an used the SOE and paid for the BD Software licensed but can't connect with my OBD2 do I need to buy the obd1

I see that you have a VZ. That will need an ALDL cable (with an OBD2 plug, not the old square OBD1 plug - envyous customs sells the right one) to make it work.

Did you have any trouble getting the OBD2 cable and SOE to work? I received my OBD2 cable and CD today, but the OBD2 cable doesn't come up in the device manager on my PC (I followed the instructions exactly), and I keep getting a "heuristic virus" alert from my virus scanner when I try to install SOE, and the installation gets blocked.

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
I stuffed up my car with the software. I now have a low fuel warning everytime I start the car

Viffer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
I stuffed up my car with the software. I now have a low fuel warning everytime I start the car

That's no good. You obviously got the ALDL cable and played with the BCM configuration software. You should be able to change it back though?

I had a chat with TazzI today and apparently, Norton Antivirus is a real PITA for blocking installation of software that isn't produced by large companies. Having virus scanned the CD, I closed my internet connection, turned off the antivirus software and installed SOE (quickly followed by turning Norton back on). I'm glad to say that SOE is now working and communicating with my car. Now all I have to do is get the engine to misfire while I'm connected and see what's causing it. So far the only code I had was in history for an ABS/ESC fault (I had the front wheel speed sensors unplugged while working on the suspension, and turned the key so I could turn the steering wheel). No DTCs stored for the misfire makes me think I probably have a dodgy coil, so no new ECU for me... phew!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
So glad I'm not the only one on the thread in 2019.
Just bought a wifi elm 327 obd2. Its connecting to the phone and car, but then the wifi connection drops out. Just wondering if there's anyhthing to fix this?

I saw earlier on someone said that android should use bluetooth, which is what I'm using both on the phone and headunit, but this one said it was android supported. Was about $20, so not the best, but not cheap junk (have one of those and its uterly useless). I'm also running it through torque pro, which after reading reviews, was said to be the best. So could it be the wifi on the android?