Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] [VT/VX/VY/VZ/VE] Everything to know about OBD2 (ELM327) Diagnostic Cables

Khabel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Nice write up man.

I use the Scantool.net bluetooth along with the Android program Torque which is cool for monitoring and checking codes, can record video with the output from the ECU on the video.

ScanTool.net LLC - OBDLink MX Scan Tool | OBD Interface | App Accelerator - ScanTool.net

Also Bluetooth to the laptop.

And FYI.

Scantool has a WIFI version coming out in August.

ScanTool.net LLC - OBDLink MX Wi-Fi Scan Tool | OBD Interface | App Accelerator - ScanTool.net

notice any lag in response time?

Khabel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Does the WIFI version offer any benefit over the bluetooth version apart from it will work with Apple devices?

Sr fury

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss
Nice write up man!!!

I got a couple of questions if you dont mind.

I have a 2001 vx ls1 berlina and want to run a racepak/haltech iq3 dash ( this one= Racepak Data Systems - Professional Motorsports Data Acquisition Systems )

not interested in fault codes but hoping the vx ls obd port can read live engnie data like rev etc??? sorry i didnt quite understand that part of the write up.

Using this obd2 cable from racepak for the dash Racepak Data Systems - Professional Motorsports Data Acquisition Systems has the suppported protocols on the page.

is there a difference in us and aus protocols that would not make this work as it's american?

cheers man

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Does the WIFI version offer any benefit over the bluetooth version apart from it will work with Apple devices?
Id say in its self, thats a pretty goot benefit since apple has a tight hold on what can connect to it via usb or bluetooth.
Nice write up man!!!

I got a couple of questions if you dont mind.

I have a 2001 vx ls1 berlina and want to run a racepak/haltech iq3 dash ( this one= Racepak Data Systems - Professional Motorsports Data Acquisition Systems )

not interested in fault codes but hoping the vx ls obd port can read live engnie data like rev etc??? sorry i didnt quite understand that part of the write up.

Using this obd2 cable from racepak for the dash Racepak Data Systems - Professional Motorsports Data Acquisition Systems has the suppported protocols on the page.

is there a difference in us and aus protocols that would not make this work as it's american?

cheers man
If your VX is an LS1, then yes the dash using the obd2 cable will work. The obd2 cable supports VPW (the protocol that LS1 vehicles use) so it will be to interpret your cars info and display on screen.

And there isnt a difference in the protocol (between aus/us), the only thing I would ask is what unitis they have the dash setup in. Can they swap from imperial to metric system so you have all the correct info in the correct units!

aprilsteel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bike
G'day I bought a VAG-KKL cable for $10 from HK and it has a CD with Vag-com on it which is used for Audi/VW and works well .
I tried OBD2 but it would not connect to my VX Commodore.
I see above " your VX V6 commodore communiates over ALDL, not OBD2."
Is there a way I can use this cable ? can I get a ALDL program to run on my laptop using this cable?
Thanks
PM sent to OP 4/8/14(seems his space is exceeded so you can't send him a PM! )

Last edited:

aprilsteel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bike
I don't get a response and looking further in my car is a VX 2001 Commodore with a 16 pin OBD2 connector so I think maybe the ALDL (Assembly Line Diagnostic Link or OBD1 On Board Diagnostics 1 ) technology is not applicable to it . Tazzyl says it is but I don't think so

Starting to put it together now too.
This guy is into selling you cables as "envyouscustoms" on the ebay for $70 so I guess he won't respond to this anyway.

Last edited:

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
G'day I bought a VAG-KKL cable for $10 from HK and it has a CD with Vag-com on it which is used for Audi/VW and works well .
I tried OBD2 but it would not connect to my VX Commodore.
I see above " your VX V6 commodore communiates over ALDL, not OBD2."
Is there a way I can use this cable ? can I get a ALDL program to run on my laptop using this cable?
Thanks
PM sent to OP 4/8/14(seems his space is exceeded so you can't send him a PM! )
If you own a VX v6 commodore then your car speaks over ALDL, your VAG-KKL cable will not work as it speaks over OBD2. Theres no way to "rig" this cable to communicate over ALDL as it is completely different...Kinda like asking an Australian to suddenly start speaking fluent Japanese.

Again as seen in a previous post, my PM box is full as I receive mutiple messages a day! Please dont take it personally, just send me a proper email as you can select from the PM area. I try to empty it out regularly but again, it gets full quickly and I will always answer with a proper response (no a single yes no answer!)

I don't get a response and looking further in my car is a VX 2001 Commodore with a 16 pin OBD2 connector so I think maybe the ALDL (Assembly Line Diagnostic Link or OBD1 On Board Diagnostics 1 ) technology is not applicable to it . Tazzyl says it is but I don't think so

Starting to put it together now too.
This guy is into selling you cables as "envyouscustoms" on the ebay for $70 so I guess he won't respond to this anyway.
Im a little confused on what the above message is saying. Are you saying that your obd2 connector does not support ALDL or OBD2?
So ALDL uses an obd2 connector.. and an OBD2 compliant protocol such as CAN or VPW also uses an obd2 connector.

If your car is a VX V6, then you need an ALDL cable to read engine data.
If your car is a VX V8, then you need an OBD2 cable to read engine data. BUT, to communicate with the cluster,radio,bcm ect you will need an ALDL cable.

*start of rant* I hope you are not trying to insult me, or say I am misleading people or such as I try my hardest to put all this information together to explain in great detail all the protocols that commodores use an what software I found works well as I know how frustrating it can be getting bad products/software or even advice. I answer everyone as quick as possible and in great details to ensure they understand whats going on and how to use/develop/program/communicate with their car! There is no "trade secret" or ability to convert a VAG cable to work with every car, I do not attempt to deceive or neglect anyone. Just because I didnt answer you ASAP, does not mean I am ignoring you or misleading you. Between the messages I get here, my website and other networks along with day to day work, it can take a few days for me to get back to everyone with full length answers. *end of rant*

Last edited:

aprilsteel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bike
Well OK I think that helps ...I'll just have to read it a few times more . As for the rant No I'm not insulting you just needed to prod you a bit for a response ..No offence meant hope none taken , just stating what I saw. Thanks
The cable I bought has OBD2 capability but not I suspect ALDL . I was asking if a software program might get it working with ALDL too ?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Nice write up man.

I use the Scantool.net bluetooth along with the Android program Torque which is cool for monitoring and checking codes, can record video with the output from the ECU on the video.

ScanTool.net LLC - OBDLink MX Scan Tool | OBD Interface | App Accelerator - ScanTool.net

So what I'm reading is this will work with apps on android on a VX LS1? Looks like a good piece of kit - I stupidly bought one of those generic $20 things on ebay which of course didn't work (I know, I know) was hoping someone would release a good one.

Also big props to the OP, great writeup.