Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT-VZ Commodore Radius Rod Bushes

Huthy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Ute 5.7 M6
Has anybody fitted the Nolathane 48166 kits to their VY Commodore?

Is it easy to undertake, or should it be left to the experts?

Obviously being an adjustable caster kit, it will need an alignment after fitment!

surfindude

hothouse green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S pack s1
yes i have done it and would do it again. car is alot stiffer and more direct through corners in the front. i had the local shop do it for me as it was goin to need a wheel alignment after anyways and i got the them adjust it to the maximum. as far as suspension mods go i think should be one of the first to be done. hard cornering under brakes then stepping on it half way though the corner gave me different feeling from understeer during braking to almost oversteer once the right foot went down. but now it is alot easy to control as steering stays the same though theh hole corner.
u properly could do it urself but i was just to lazy and wasnt sure wat caster would have been beta.
hope that helps

travyss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Castor bushes

Piece of cake - have a crack yourself. I would also suggest changing the rear castor rod bush. Basically, first undo the large 24mm nut on the radius rod. This nut will be 'tight' hit it with some WD40 and a big wrench and deep socket. Then you can undo the 4 13mm nuts on the mounting. Then remove the mount, lube up the bushes and re-assemble as per instructions. You can put more castor with the aftermarket bushes but risk rubbing. Torque up 13mm nuts then do the 24mm up tight. It is a good idea to tighten the bush finally at right height.
If you want to replace the rear bush just undo the rear nut (also quite hard) and remove the castor rod whilst the front bush is also off. To get the rear castor bush out with out removing the control arm - get a small diameter drill and drill all around the circumference of the factory rubber bush. Then get your biggest hammer, and a cold chisel and bash the factory bush out. Lube the new bush and reinstall etc etc
Any questions just post up - although I dont come on here often. Whilst you are at the front change your swaybar too and link pins.....now that is more of a challege:thumbsup: Swaybar removal requires dropping the front crossmember:bang:

Degeko

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Calais 5.0L, MY12 VE SV6
Ive done close to 200 of these kits as i used to work at pedders and they use the same bushes, they are a piece of piss to do as long as theres no weight on the front, and doing the rear caster bushes is a good idea too, just make shure you put the washers in the right way thats all, i think from memory those bushes were pretty expensive around the $200 mark, but worth the cash

elshonno

Reaction score
I got mine for $137 on ebay - nolathane and I was also a little worried from some reviews but I have to say the car handles corners and round abouts like a raging bull now - love it! I feel alot safer too with them fitted and the amount of control I have back is huge - my ZV had done 110000 on the original.
I got the genuine sway bar link pins for $70 also

I tried to undo the bolt but it was pretty ####ing hard and I was buggered after changing the sway bar link pins so I took the car to the local garage and they did it in 20 mins for $50 and watch how quick they come off when it's on a hoist - if you wait watching then they cant round the labour up to 1 hours.

Two of them did it each side at the same time, thats why so quick - I had them working hard for their $50, now if every ####ing mechanic worked out the value of teamwork and performed duets together swapping caster bush's like this two - we would all be better off.

If your a real tight ass and cant spare $50 in exchange for alot swearing and sweat on the floor underneath your car or are just simply the kind of person that wont admit defeat after so many ####ing attempts to get that bolt off including;
jacking up the spanner,
jumping on the car while the jack supported the spanner,
kicking the spanner,
pissing on it ,
or just staring at it

then go spend the $$$$$ or get a job so you can spend $$$$ instead of my tax $$$ you tightass.

By the way the holden stealership in waitara quoted me $1100 I rang them just for laughs
I like doing that so I know how much some poor bastards get ripped off, how the #### do they get away with this draconian ****?
I also made the guy give me an itemised qoute and send it via mail just to be a pain in the ass , I cant stand the ####ers it gets me fired up
What is up with those guys that sit on the desks and the phones at the service centre, do they have any ####ing clue about what they are talking about
? I always presumed they were **** salesmen canned from the car yard cos they couldnt sell a car but could bullshit you into a wheel alignment when you dont need and pretending to be a mechanic to every poor bastard that walks through the stealership doors with their wallets about to be savagely sodomised.

The VT's Stayin' ! ...

...not goin' to wrecker's
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec.Series 1 Wagon
G'day people, I have the nolathane kit 48166 ... for my VT wagon...recently put on new wheels/tyres which are 225 45 17
...as far as having a go at putting on the kit ...no worries...but which caster setting to use??? has me buggered!! ...anyone help with this?