Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT w/ gas conversion intake options - pod or new cover?

pill

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Hi all,

I got my car put on gas last week and the bastards that fit it cracked the filter box on both sides of it, and there is a hissing noise as unfiltered air seeps into the intake.

I need to do something asap; and I'm interested as to what you think is the best option (bar suing the owner of the gas conversion shop, he seems pretty stingy and I don't think I'd make the few hundred dollars for the new box anyway):

1. Replace both sides of the air box genuinely - probably expensive
  2. buy a 4-3.5 inch reducer and a pod filter - I can get a Fram "air hog" from my work (super cheap, don't laugh) for $35, and the reducer wouldn't be too expensive, plus i'd get a slight performance boost
  3. get the full performance intake kit - they seem to be around the $400 mark from what i researched at work today
  4. get a cold air induction kit - but I don't know much about them or how much they'd cost - I have access to discount at super cheap and repco so if anyone had part numbers that'dd be awesome. (of the parts i'd need).

Any ideas? I'm sure there's millions. I don't really want to spend that much. If anyone has done this before, or got yesses or noes to particular ideas, please let me know...

Thanks

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
It will be worth pricing a new box from a Holden dealer. Unless it's something special like an HSV, they're ~$50 for the upper and lower with air filter.

lumina01

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SSV UTE

theres ****loads of airboxes on ebay for cheap

Malus

Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Maloo
Sounds to me like the usual backfire when they were tuning it, and they "forgot" to mention that when you picked it up.
IMO get second hand box from the wreckers and just loosen the intake pipe on the airbox. It just pops off rather than destroying things every time.
Works for everybody i know with gas systems.