Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt with a vy l67 and getrag worth it?

royinthegreyshirt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs dunga ute
Hi everyone, there is a VT with a vy l67 that has been converted to a getrag 5 speed on eBay for $4500. I was wondering if it was worth it to buy it just for the engine setup. This would be my ultimate setup to put into my VS drift ute.
Ive read that it's a bit of a hassle and seems pretty expensive to make a l67 manual and thought this could be a pretty simple way to do the conversion and drop it into my drift ute (already ecotec and getrag).

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Not worth it just for the drive train at all, that's a ridiculous price just for those. You will still face the same problems. The problem is not just the box and engine, you will still need a VS loom/ECU, pedal box, tail shaft.

Unless you go to a T56 converting an L67 to manual will cost just as much as an Ecotec manual conversion. All you need is a VS manual conversion and The1/Delcowizzid to burn you a memcal.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Just chuck an l67 top end on your existing ecotec. Easy and cheap!

The getrag might last a little while, but they're generally running on borrowed time without a supercharger :p

royinthegreyshirt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs dunga ute
Just chuck an l67 top end on your existing ecotec. Easy and cheap!

The getrag might last a little while, but they're generally running on borrowed time without a supercharger :p

I thought the l67 had better pistons or rods?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
It has shorter rods, larger pins and the pistons have a thicker crown (and are teflon coated). The compression is slightly lower too.

As long as the tune is good you won't have any problems with an ecotec bottom end. The l67 top end on an ecotec bottom end will make more power for the same amount of boost because of the higher compression too. If you put a 10psi pulley on it, you'd need to have it tuned for sure - but that's not an issue since you'd need to have a tune burnt to suit the l67 manual anyway.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
If you look out for it, a complete L67 can be had for 1k.