Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt won't start

gigdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive wagon 1999
that price is for the hole key I take it if he takes out the two screws out and uses your key in a new head it should only cost you around 75 to 85 $ pending on the retailer but don't let them push you in to buying the hole thing as you don't need it and if he is trying to do that then go to another place and tell them you need a new head for your key

gigdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive wagon 1999
the cod for a vt key is on the metal part of the key as far as I know I have just recently had this same problem with my vt and they put the new key head on put it in to a key reader and it puts the code on the new chip in the key then you take your key out to your car unlock the car manually by putting the key in the lock then you put the key in the ignition turn it on so you have dash lights but don't start the car and count to ten then turn the car off then take the key out and press the lock button and the car should lock then unlock it and it should be done and this is what I had to do step by step / the ten seconds is is for the computer to reset the locking programme

Emmcee1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010sv6 wagon
Was that at Holden or from a key person? And it's fine now? Reason I ask is be ause someone said to play it safe and go to Holden but I know they will charge an arm and a leg.

dope505069

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S2 Olympic Ediiion
You dont need holden. Go to your local locksmith. Check Yellow pages. Ring around, get a few quotes. You will need to take your car in to do it.

Most locksmiths will even stock the holden key heads.

Emmcee1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010sv6 wagon
My mate said they do them at the markets here for $65, so obviously people have had issues with buying them from key cutters and such, I was thinking of going the $65 and if doesn't work, ask for my money back.

Emmcee1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010sv6 wagon
Left it sitting for a couple of hours and now it fired up straight away, weird, do you think I should risk driving it 100ks away from home and back or will it most likely play up again?

Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt v6 commodore
a key cutter will copy half the "code" from your existing remote and the other half from your car
if your key reader is faulty or that part of the program in the remote is faulty then the new remote will not work
i would play it safe and get it done by holden[/QUOTE U are way wrong !,, if you go to a professional locksmith they can retrieve all the codes from the old remote " I have just been through this if you search my posts got a new remote for $55 dollars at trade price $75 not trade price it took him three goes to retrieve codes but all good just don't go to a shifty shopping centre locksmith and as for Holden go there if you feel like getting bent over ! You would be looking at $200 from them ,

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
sleeper ... a professional locksmith may not be able to retrieve the codes from the remote if it is faulty
holden will have the BCM program the remote
i know which i would do, but it is up to OP how much grief he wants to go through
before i bought a tech 2 holden was $120 for a new genuine remote programmed
emmcee1... your risk, do you have free towing?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Just to clarify, a flat remote battery won't stop the car from starting, they have an active and passive circuit. The passive is powered through the key blade and barrel contact point.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
pollushon ... that is true in theory, in practice i have seen too many give problems
i think what happens is when the battery is flat the keyreader can power the fob
but when the battery completely fails then immobilizer wont deactivate