Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT1 5.0L PWR Steer Pump

colourmesilver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT1 98 SS 195i 5.0L 304 HSV ENHANCED
Hi guys, searched already before posting.
Pwr steer pump on the 304 growls like well yeah anyway. Going to replace it asap, just curious if anyone has ever been able or has removed the pulley from the pump at all? And if can reply with a quick summary/tips to remove without a pulley puller or how much and where to get a pulley puller from? I've noticed the pulley is or appears not bolted but it's like a hollow hole lol... Cheers guys. And also any tips when swapping these pumps over and any surprises to be aware of? Thanks

D

devilly

growls sounds like bearing on way out,loosen the idler pulley locknut and release the belt tension,remove belt.if your dismantling it watch out for the magnet,note its location for reassembly,loosen all the bolts and nuts on the power steering,before undoing the main ones holding it on,when putting it back together i found it easier to put the fluid lines in first finger tight and then the main bolts,do you have the max ellery book.really good write up in that book for 5.0 v8 power steering pump.

gm1961

Reaction score
Hi All

If it growls all the time make sure is not just the loose idler / jockey wheel bearing or the water pump

Power steer should growl more under load eg turning the wheel, but a fully damaged unit will growl all the time

You can try swaping with used parts, but unless you know there history ie of a prior car or mate, then i find best to recon what you have as it will last another 5 to 10 years

The reseviour i believe you can buy new very cheap it its just a leak or split

regards
george

colourmesilver

Reaction score
Members Ride
growls sounds like bearing on way out,loosen the idler pulley locknut and release the belt tension,remove belt.if your dismantling it watch out for the magnet,note its location for reassembly,loosen all the bolts and nuts on the power steering,before undoing the main ones holding it on,when putting it back together i found it easier to put the fluid lines in first finger tight and then the main bolts,do you have the max ellery book.really good write up in that book for 5.0 v8 power steering pump.

Cheers for that mate appreciate

colourmesilver

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi All

If it growls all the time make sure is not just the loose idler / jockey wheel bearing or the water pump

Power steer should growl more under load eg turning the wheel, but a fully damaged unit will growl all the time

You can try swaping with used parts, but unless you know there history ie of a prior car or mate, then i find best to recon what you have as it will last another 5 to 10 years

The reseviour i believe you can buy new very cheap it its just a leak or split

regards
george

Cheers mate appreciate it

colourmesilver

Reaction score
Members Ride
Now the other thing is... Will a VN - VS 304 5L Power Steering Pump be the same as the one on the VT1 304 5L? Cheers in advance for replies :)

355VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR 355 5spd
Maybe rebuild the old one. I ordered a rebuild kit for my VR V8 power steering pump from on Friday from Holden, should be here Monday. $65.00.

colourmesilver

Reaction score
Members Ride
Maybe rebuild the old one. I ordered a rebuild kit for my VR V8 power steering pump from on Friday from Holden, should be here Monday. $65.00.
How did you go with pulling it apart ?

colourmesilver

Reaction score
Members Ride
the pump growls like anything, removing and reinstalling gives you sore hands, but trying to crack the pump open, well I can't figure it out anyway just trying to source one as it is the pump that's making the noise everything else is good as

D

devilly

here's some pics of my power steering pump for the 3.8 ecotec.for the after market one you have to drill the hole yourself for the 3.8 ecotec.put up a pic of the 5.0.

Attachments

• KATS 4 sale 009.jpg
    KATS 4 sale 009.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 1,068
  • KATS 4 sale 015.jpg
    KATS 4 sale 015.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 456