Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VTss rear camber kit problem loose bolts

marshall12

Reaction score
Members Ride
vtss
Howdy got camber kit fitted on my vt ss about a year ago .But recentley i started hearing a grinding noise coming from under the car .Thought mite be center bearing on tailshaft.
So i jacked up the back end of the car to have a look and spoted the lock nuts on the camber kit are not even done up on both sides inner .looks like the noise is the muffler rubbing against tailshaft.
so my question is would the loose camber kit be the cause for the exhaust move .Should i take it back to very well known suspenshion shop in perth were i got it done ,and see if they fix it. or been to long ?

ATTACH]

Attachments

• vt iner camber kit 22.jpg
    vt iner camber kit 22.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 184
  • muffler.jpg
    muffler.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
No, a camber kit has nothing to do with your exhaust hitting the tail shaft.

I'd just take it somewhere for an alignment and be done with it unless they have some kind of guarantee they promised.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
Actually depending on the exhaust size/bends etc and if there is exhaust mounts on the rear cradle, the rear cradle alignment being ####ed in the ass can cause the exhaust to rub on the tail shaft as it will make the exhaust shift sideways or twist or sag down onto the tailshaft.

Of if there is no mount on the cradle then the cradle and be out of alignment moving the tailshaft into contact with the exhaust as well.

From the photo looks like they just relied on the spring washer and didn't locktite the bolts properly.

Last edited:
D

devilly

if you have receipt for work done, always worth a phone call to them.they may fix it for free or charge you less to fix it properly :)

if they not nice about it then look into someone else.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
With the alignment being done so long ago, I doubt they'll fix it for free, or on the cheap.....All I can suggest is go somewhere else and get the alignment re-done and get them to placed it on the hoist for you to check they are actually done up, after the job is done for your own piece of mind.

And no the camber kit has no effect on the exhaust problem you have

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
I cant c the alignment of the control arms being the problem, because there are no exhaust mounts connected to them. Highly unlikely, but IF the rear subframes main front bushes were completely flogged out, they could allow the whole rear assembly to shift left or right, moving the diff and tailshaft towards the exhaust...but i would think that u would notice a whole lot more than just a grinding noise.

Have u bottomed the car out on a speed bump or something recently? I think the more likely scenario is that maybe the exhaust has been bent?. Another thing to check is all the other hangers and make sure that the exhaust mounts havnt slipped out of the rubbers, or the rubbers rnt broken...that could cause the exhaust to fall down under its own weight, and if its only one side thats broken or slipped out, it could cause the exhaust to shift left or right

marshall12

Reaction score
Members Ride
vtss
Thanks Guys
Going to take it back to who done it if they dont give me a discount on a alighment and say not there falt then i take it somewere else
and name and shame them.Not hard to tighten nuts up tight .should of done it myself.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
Good luck...i recon they will argue that anyone else could have touched it within the year that its been. And that their warranty on workmanship is only valid for x amount of weeks/months.

Unfortunately, altho they do have spring washers, it seems to be a bit of a design fault with a few of them. Not good how they can work themselves loose. As someone else said, they need to have some sort of thread locker put on them aswell

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I've never had a customer come back because those bolts are loose, nor have I struck one that I have done that has come loose......There is no need for any sort of thread locker on them.....As long as the tool on the end of the spanner tightens them properly, they will never come loose.