Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vtv6 Exhaust pipe from drivers side manifold has turned blue, not passenger side????

mutley hee hee

Reaction score
Members Ride
toyota surf
Hi folks I have a ecotec series 2 v6 in a Toyota surf, I have looked through the FAQ section cannot find an answer to my particular issue which is- the Exhaust pipe which comes from the drivers side has turned blue in color, The bluing effect you get when metal has got very hot,
however the passenger side is the normal rusty brown color.
It's a standard v6, standard exhaust manifolds, two cats which run into a 2.5" system to the rear.
I also have standard gas system fitted.It is a manual.
Any ideas as to what may be the cause???
Thank you cheers mark

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
Collapsed or blocked cat on that side , exhaust can't escape .could be glowing red after driving and is dangerous as it will put you to sleep without you knowing . A mates ol TE cortina headers were glowing and he fell asleep and smacked the old white wooden posts on the side of road

mutley hee hee

Reaction score
Members Ride
toyota surf
Hi, as far as I know it is just common exhaust steel, it is not stainless steel, the pipe has done only about 600k,
However, when the exhaust guy replaced it, ( it had fractured when I was 4wdriving), he commented that the old pipe was brittle and blue.
Cheers mark

Last edited:

mutley hee hee

Reaction score
Members Ride
toyota surf
Collapsed or blocked cat on that side , exhaust can't escape .could be glowing red after driving and is dangerous as it will put you to sleep without you knowing . A mates ol TE cortina headers were glowing and he fell asleep and smacked the old white wooden posts on the side of road[/

Sounds bad, this is the second time it has happened, I wil try to work out a timeline, cause I have had a bit of custom work done getting the pipes to clear the Independent front suspension.
Both cats about 18months old, Yes the exhaust guy said "it must be glowing red to turn blue like that"
I will get them checked out,
Thank you
Cheers mark

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Do you have the diagnostic plug hooked up? Do an error code check, you may be running really lean on the RHS or it's a blocked cat. The factory engine pipes on all the V6 Commodores are stainless. Unless you have had them custom made.

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 T5 SDN & VY V6 M35 UTE
I think it would be a blocked Cat, and maybe also a stuffed 02 sensor as I have the same model Hilux with VT V6 & custom made steel headers. I answered a previous question you had regarding the steep hill climbs & bright blue smoke. The exhaust may have been carrying a bit too much oil smoke & crude to the drivers side cat. Might even find the passengers side is blocking as well.
Has it seemed to have lost power from what it used to be ?

Cheers

Deek