Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VU SS steering too heavy

Tas_HSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV Clubsport
Hey all...Well,my father in his 60s has a VU SS as his toy...he loves it...as he would after 50 years of driving fords :)...only problem is as hes gettin older,the arthritis is getting worse...he is finding it too painful to drive much,he spends most of his time driving the subaru :(.

Its at my place now,and steering seems no heavier than normal,but yea,its still a fair bit heavier than the scoobydoo.

Are the calais any different in the steering like in the earlier models?if not,would a slightly bigger pulley on the pump help?I dont want him to be forced into bland subaru foresterism,but the futures looking bleak for my recently reformed "life long blue oval member" father :(

Alloytec

Reaction score
Members Ride
LS1 VT SS
Only difference with P/S racks is the Varible ratio rack (std) and the Variomatic (caprices etc)

Variable ratio just gets quicker the more you turn it from straight ahead...a quarter turn near full lock will move your wheels alot more than the same amount of turn close to straight ahead.
Variomatic applies max assistance at parking speeds, but much less at hwy speeds.

Time for a caprice maybe ?

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
yes a bigger pully will help and not sure in the v8 pump but some i know ya can change the valve in the back of the pump to make it lighter again.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The steering in my Caprice is very light when going slow, parking etc, you can turn the wheel with one finger. The faster you go the firmer it gets. I think the Calais might be the same as well.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
The VT/VX has vaguely heavy steering to be honest. My VE has much lighter steering, either change the pump over or upgrade to a newer car I would think.

vtdan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore and S/C VX Calais
My VX Calais has very light steering, however the VT exec is much heavier...

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Maybe get the wheel alignment checked as too much Caster Angle can cause heavy steering. The radius rod/caster bar bushes might be worn and causing incorrect Caster Angle.

Last edited:

Tas_HSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV Clubsport
Thanks for the replys :),at least I know it can be fixed with some basic parts....its no "mechanical fault" as such....its no heavier than any other VT onwards SS ive drove,and being lowered on 19s dont help either :p ,but yea,its just heavy enough to aggravate his arthritis....its a tidy ute so he dont want to sell it,but just needs the steering a little lighter :),but hes not keen on going back to the stocko 17s either lol

Picture439.jpg