Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vu ute auto swap

CommyLover01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu Ute
Hi all.

i am building a vu ute to become a fully restored straght 6 with the origanal v6 in it witch is a l63 witch will be twin turboed. i am wanting to convert it from a 4 speed auto to a 6 speed auto can any one reqamened any good and easy 6 speeds to put on to the motor as i live in the city and dont want to have to deal with a manule all the time in the city with traffic so an auto will be ideal but i just want more gears then the 4 speeds.

all sergestens would be grattly aprechiated and do not try to convince me to change my ideas of build just want recamended autos to swap from the factory 4 speed to speed.

regards.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
I don't really understand what you mean but if you want to swap the 4 speed auto to a 6 speed auto in your Ecotec VU, I'll give @Lex a mention as he swapped his 4 speed auto to a 6 speed auto from a VF in his Ecotec VT...

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
easy 6 speeds to put on to the motor
None. There are no recommended autos. There are absolutely zero that will just bolt to the car and work. The factory ECU also doesn't have the capability to control two extra gears and most aftermarket ECUs don't support GMs PCM type architecture either. On top of that, the conversion Lex did is completely custom - one off custom adapter plate, custom torque converter, possibly tailshaft too. You also have to have the ECU flashed to manual and use a transmission controller. If you want easy there are none, otherwise everybody would be doing them and there would be heaps of info.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The first sentence confused me. Straight six in a VU?

CommyLover01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu Ute
None. There are no recommended autos. There are absolutely zero that will just bolt to the car and work. The factory ECU also doesn't have the capability to control two extra gears and most aftermarket ECUs don't support GMs PCM type architecture either. On top of that, the conversion Lex did is completely custom - one off custom adapter plate, custom torque converter, possibly tailshaft too. You also have to have the ECU flashed to manual and use a transmission controller. If you want easy there are none, otherwise everybody would be doing them and there would be heaps of info.
Thanks mate so what would you suggest doing in that situation ?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Better to stick with the 4l60e and spend the money you save on other things. You will need a stronger diff, and built trans to handle the extra HP plus you will need to budget around $10k or more for your turbo that you want.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What's your budget for this build?

CommyLover01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu Ute
Better to stick with the 4l60e and spend the money you save on other things. You will need a stronger diff, and built trans to handle the extra HP plus you will need to budget around $10k or more for your turbo that you want.
well in that case do you think that more gears can be added or do you just recamend a stage to shift kit in the trans to catter as a 4 speed?