Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VU ute error code P1361

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Reactions: Lex

Dazza VU ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU series 2 ute
Hi all,

It took a while to sort out my issue with my P1361 DTC but, i have great news.
I found a mechanic with the right smarts to get to the issue.
As it turned out a mechanic that had done my water pump previously, obviously took a short cut & didn't drain the cooling system correctly.
How you ask ? Well what i am presuming occurred was that instead of draining the cooling system from the bottom radiator hose he chose to drain from the top radiator hose to save on coolant on re-assembly or for less effort. One or the other. When he has removed the faulty water pump more coolant has then drained from the engine running down the front of the engine drowning the crank angle sensor. He obviously washed the coolant off the front of the engine with water also. We all know electrical components do not like being drowned in water especially coolant. The DTC code was pointing us to the right area & eventually threw another code which indicated cam or crank angle sensor. He changed the cam angle sensor as this was easier to change for obvious reasons with no change which made us move to the crank angle sensor. The second mechanic found coolant stains on the crank angle sensor & once this sensor was replaced the car ran like a swiss watch again & has been running fine since. The moral of the story here is DONT TAKE SHORTCUTS and the other is YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT HAS HAPPENED WITH YOUR VEHICLE WHEN IT IS OUT OF YOUR SIGHT. The ECU has done its job here telling us what the issue was although, what the curve ball was is that the crank angle sensor was replaced a few months before. If we had of known that an idiot had drowned it in coolant we would have sorted the issue a lot earlier. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this post. Your advice was appreciated.

Reactions: Lex