Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VU ute error code P1361

Dazza VU ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU series 2 ute
Hi all,
I have tried to look up posts for this error code but, i am not getting any definite answers. The story is, i had engine check light come on the other day & after hooking up my Vident scan tool it gave error code P 1361. Car still ran fine with the engine light on getting home. When i got home i hooked up the scan tool & took note of the code & erased it. I have driven the car numerous times since (the ute is a spare car which i have owned since new & now only drive on weekends) the engine light has not come on since. Doing my head in on why the code came up in the first instance although, i did fit a new genuine Holden in tank fuel pump 2 days before. Could the new fuel pump being fitted cause this code to appear ? I have also done a little research & started looking at the relays under the bonnet & after driving for some time noticed that the ENGINE CONTROL RELAY was a bit hot. Warmer than the other relays. Is this normal for this relay to reach this temp ? Interested to know if anyone else has experienced this error code & what was the cause or causes. Any info would be appreciated.

Dazza VU ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU series 2 ute
Forgot to add that the error code in Max Ellery engine manual for error code P1361 is Ignition bypass circuit. It says that this indicates intermittent fault with PCM.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Here you go, the vital information from the Holden VT/VX Service Manual:

Attachments

• DTC P1361 V6 PCM - Ignition Bypass Circuit Fault.pdf
    330.3 KB · Views: 221

Dazza VU ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU series 2 ute
Here you go, the vital information from the Holden VT/VX Service Manual:
Thanks VXGTS,
I have taken your info onboard & appreciate your reply. I am currently looking into what the problem is & once i know i will be sure to let you know how it all went. Thanks again for your prompt reply.

Dazza VU ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU series 2 ute
Thanks VXGTS,
I have taken your info onboard & appreciate your reply. I am currently looking into what the problem is & once i know i will be sure to let you know how it all went. Thanks again for your prompt reply.
Hi VXGTS,

Just reporting back in regard to my P1361 DTC fault code. I have been racking my brain on what the issue could be & have not been able to nail it just yet although, i have checked the ECU wiring & plugs which all seem OK. I am thinking if it were an ECU issue i would be getting more that one DTC. I also believe if it were the ECU it would be logging multiple DTC's. I have also checked the DFI module plugs & wiring & everything seems to check out here also. I done the DFI module plug wiggle test & nothing happened, car ran fine & didn't miss a beat. I also checked the plug & there is no backed out or burnt pin receptacles. I am beginning to lean towards the DFI module itself as i put a new DFI module in about a month ago & am thinking it could of been dodgy from the beginning as i purchased it from Supercheap Auto & although they insisted it was Bosch brand the item came in an unmarked box & there is no brand marking on the DFI itself to indicate it is Bosch brand. I am thinking of biting the bullet & purchasing a genuine Holden DFI module at $500 big ones just to be sure i have got a descent module. The other option is i get one from the wreckers but, with this option again you don't know what you are getting. Being DTC P1361, the issue is definitely within the ignition system. I believe i am looking in the right area just need to find the dodgy part which is why i am leaning toward the DFI module. I have also replaced spark plugs, leads, cam angle sensor (genuine GMH) & crank angle sensor (genuine GMH). Any thoughts on my findings or any advice would be appreciated.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hi VXGTS,

Just reporting back in regard to my P1361 DTC fault code. I have been racking my brain on what the issue could be & have not been able to nail it just yet although, i have checked the ECU wiring & plugs which all seem OK. I am thinking if it were an ECU issue i would be getting more that one DTC. I also believe if it were the ECU it would be logging multiple DTC's. I have also checked the DFI module plugs & wiring & everything seems to check out here also. I done the DFI module plug wiggle test & nothing happened, car ran fine & didn't miss a beat. I also checked the plug & there is no backed out or burnt pin receptacles. I am beginning to lean towards the DFI module itself as i put a new DFI module in about a month ago & am thinking it could of been dodgy from the beginning as i purchased it from Supercheap Auto & although they insisted it was Bosch brand the item came in an unmarked box & there is no brand marking on the DFI itself to indicate it is Bosch brand. I am thinking of biting the bullet & purchasing a genuine Holden DFI module at $500 big ones just to be sure i have got a descent module. The other option is i get one from the wreckers but, with this option again you don't know what you are getting. Being DTC P1361, the issue is definitely within the ignition system. I believe i am looking in the right area just need to find the dodgy part which is why i am leaning toward the DFI module. I have also replaced spark plugs, leads, cam angle sensor (genuine GMH) & crank angle sensor (genuine GMH). Any thoughts on my findings or any advice would be appreciated.
My experience with new dfi or just different dfi & using with the old coil packs, usually means you will f#ck the new or used dfi.

If l'm going to change the dfi, l change the coil packs too.

When buying new dfi, l was getting f#cked one's new. So gave up on that, & only buy used dfi with the coil packs.

I haven't had to change dfi for a few years now. I think 2018, so, 5 years ago.

When checking the dfi wiring, how far did you strip the tape back?

Dazza VU ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU series 2 ute
My experience with new dfi or just different dfi & using with the old coil packs, usually means you will f#ck the new or used dfi.

If l'm going to change the dfi, l change the coil packs too.

When buying new dfi, l was getting f#cked one's new. So gave up on that, & only buy used dfi with the coil packs.

I haven't had to change dfi for a few years now. I think 2018, so, 5 years ago.

When checking the dfi wiring, how far did you strip the tape back?
Hi lex,

Appreciate your reply. I drove the car again today & after about 20klms engine light lit up once again. I hooked up the scan tool & this time i got DTC P1361 as per usual although, it threw an additional code being P0341 cam angle sensor intermittent. I believe i am getting closer to the issue am now thinking that the DFI is OK & the problem may be the cam angle sensor itself , wiring, bad connection or electrical interference. All i can do is keep chipping away at this annoying issue & hopefully get to the bottom of it. Like i have stated previously, the car runs fine otherwise so i believe EST (Electronic Spark Timing) is working as it should. Mechanical issues are so much easier to rectify as you know exactly what the issue is. As for electrical issues, these can be a real pain to diagnose due to where the actual fault is located within the electrical circuit. A scan tool helps immensely as it at least points you in the right direction. Any advice or info would also be appreciated. When i do get to the problem i will be letting it known what the problem was so it can help others.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi lex,

Appreciate your reply. I drove the car again today & after about 20klms engine light lit up once again. I hooked up the scan tool & this time i got DTC P1361 as per usual although, it threw an additional code being P0341 cam angle sensor intermittent. I believe i am getting closer to the issue am now thinking that the DFI is OK & the problem may be the cam angle sensor itself , wiring, bad connection or electrical interference. All i can do is keep chipping away at this annoying issue & hopefully get to the bottom of it. Like i have stated previously, the car runs fine otherwise so i believe EST (Electronic Spark Timing) is working as it should. Mechanical issues are so much easier to rectify as you know exactly what the issue is. As for electrical issues, these can be a real pain to diagnose due to where the actual fault is located within the electrical circuit. A scan tool helps immensely as it at least points you in the right direction. Any advice or info would also be appreciated. When i do get to the problem i will be letting it known what the problem was so it can help others.
Have you physically looked at cas & cam plugs & sockets? Could be oil or corrision on the pins?

Dazza VU ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU series 2 ute
Have you physically looked at cas & cam plugs & sockets? Could be oil or corrision on the pins?
Hi Lex,

That is exactly my next area to look at. I will be looking at the cam angle sensor first as this easy to get to & that is where the ECU DTC fault code is telling me to look. As for the crank angle sensor, this as you would know is a little harder to access due to harmonic balancer pulley removal. Hopefully cam angle sensor plug/socket dirty. Fingers crossed. I will keep you posted & appreciate your reply & advice.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Lex,

That is exactly my next area to look at. I will be looking at the cam angle sensor first as this easy to get to & that is where the ECU DTC fault code is telling me to look. As for the crank angle sensor, this as you would know is a little harder to access due to harmonic balancer pulley removal. Hopefully cam angle sensor plug/socket dirty. Fingers crossed. I will keep you posted & appreciate your reply & advice.
The cas plug is on the passenger side of the harmonic balacer & easy to get to.