Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

stoney1only2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VU S pack 2002
Hey there, ive been reading around and can’t find specific instructions on what to do to fit an L67 into my 2002 v6 VU ute with a getrag 5 speed box, I have seen the thread: http://mace.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/307/744/fitting-vs-vy-l67-into-vuvx-commodore
but I am unsure what it means by ‘Mirror balance flywheel to flexplate’ and ‘Get the crankshaft drilled for flywheel dowels to fit flywheel’
I understand the electrical work that needs to be done but just don’t understand the flywheel and crank situation, do I need to pull the crank out to drill it?, measurements? etc.
Also is my 2002 V6 vu mkII manual memcal/ecu/pcm compatible with the L67 or
re-tunable to suit the L67 and a 10 psi pulley kit with the manual box still in my ute, Thankyou in advance for any help!

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
People argue about the dowels, some think they're simply a locator for the flywheel and others think they somehow add integrity.
"Mirror balance flex plate to flywheel" means to re-balance the manual flywheel so it's balanced in the same way as the automatic flex plate of the L67, although a lot of second hand L67s don't come with the flex plate.

If it were me, I'd just throw the flywheel on and balance it if it vibrated given that you probably won't get the flex plate anyway. Although there is a slight variation in the balance of different generation L67/Ecotec they're generally pretty similar. People have apparently drilled out the dowel holes too, dunno if I'd be bothered or how hard it is.

Whatever you do though, make sure you use new flywheel bolts, pretty sure they're only single use torque to yield.

Your VU ECU should be fine, you just need to get a memcal for L67/manual which will be a custom job so you can add other things in like the 10psi pulley too. The1 or Delcowizzid on this forum or Mace should be able to do it for you.

stoney1only2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VU S pack 2002
People argue about the dowels, some think they're simply a locator for the flywheel and others think they somehow add integrity.
"Mirror balance flex plate to flywheel" means to re-balance the manual flywheel so it's balanced in the same way as the automatic flex plate of the L67, although a lot of second hand L67s don't come with the flex plate.

If it were me, I'd just throw the flywheel on and balance it if it vibrated given that you probably won't get the flex plate anyway. Although there is a slight variation in the balance of different generation L67/Ecotec they're generally pretty similar. People have apparently drilled out the dowel holes too, dunno if I'd be bothered or how hard it is.

Whatever you do though, make sure you use new flywheel bolts, pretty sure they're only single use torque to yield.

Your VU ECU should be fine, you just need to get a memcal for L67/manual which will be a custom job so you can add other things in like the 10psi pulley too. The1 or Delcowizzid on this forum or Mace should be able to do it for you.
So I have bought a vx calais with the L67 (the vx is shagged but the motor was running well) i have taken the engine loom (incase the vu engine loom has a problem for some random reason, i have taken the ecu from the passenger kick panel, the motor and all the radiator hoses, fuel lines etc, I am gonna do a few gaskets n stuff, i really don’t care about the flywheel balancing for now i’m just trying to get the motor bolted in, is there anything else i’m missing for the conversion, i have the getrag in my ute and will be using that with a solid flywheel not the dual mass. I have the 10 psi pulley, even with the L67 ecu I will still need a tune won’t I? anything else i should take from the VX before it gets scrapped?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
even with the L67 ecu I will still need a tune won’t I?

The L67 ECU would need to be linked to your VU or VATS removed for it to work. If you're going to use the auto just stick the VX memcal in your VU and hopefully the security signals are the same, if you use the 5 speed, then yes you need to have your memcal setup for manual. People I mentioned in my last post will be able to do it for you.

Also, get the fuel pump as the L67 one is bigger.

stoney1only2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VU S pack 2002
The L67 ECU would need to be linked to your VU or VATS removed for it to work. If you're going to use the auto just stick the VX memcal in your VU and hopefully the security signals are the same, if you use the 5 speed, then yes you need to have your memcal setup for manual. People I mentioned in my last post will be able to do it for you.

Also, get the fuel pump as the L67 one is bigger.
I will grab the fuel pump, but why have I not seen anything about changing it on any other forum? Do you have an Idea i can contact delcowizzid or any other tuner it will be needing the manual setup, but can i not take the L67 ecu or my vu ecu to a dyno tuner and get it done there?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I will grab the fuel pump, but why have I not seen anything about changing it on any other forum? Do you have an Idea i can contact delcowizzid or any other tuner it will be needing the manual setup, but can i not take the L67 ecu or my vu ecu to a dyno tuner and get it done there?

You can, but they'll likely charge you through the nose for it and it doesn't need a dyno. To go from auto to manual is simply a bunch of auto trans flags that have to be deactivated on the memcal so codes aren't thrown and then the manual ones activated. Basic bolt-ons for these engines have been mapped plenty, so touch ups on a relatively stock engine with basic bolt-ons can be done reliably through mail order tunes if you wish.

The1 and Delcowizzid are both members on this forum, there may be a link to an order page on The1's profile.

Can't say about not seeing the pump on other forums, but I've only read about it.

stoney1only2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VU S pack 2002
I have just pulled the fuel pump out of the VX incase it’s needed, should i find and take the fuel pump control module or nah? I also have a few more questions, im going to invest in some extractors, would the normal v6 3.8 extractors bolt onto the L67 block? also i will buy the bigger throttle body, and 10 psi pulley, would I need a tune for any of the bolt ons I just mentioned or will it be okay? If i do need a tune would The1 or the other guy be able to mod the ecu to fit the bolt ons? sorry i’m a noob, 16 years old doing an engine swap is something difficult for me

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Okay, so if you open the ECU, there's a blue chip inside it, this is called the memcal and it's where your tune is stored and tells the ECU what to do and how to react, it also contains VATS (anti-theft). This is the part you take out and send away, nothing else needs to be modded. They should be able to do this for you, but I'd contact them and see what they can offer.

The only thing that you would absolutely need at tune for is the throttle body, otherwise it will idle weird and possibly lean out slightly, rest of it is fine without. You'll get a lot more out of the engine if you get it tuned for the rest though. Ecotec extractors are fine.