Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Walshy227

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VU S Ute
Hey guys!

A week ago I bought myself a 2001 VU S Ute in black and I absolutely love it! Although it has 296,000kms, it runs fantastic and nothing feels like it'll go wrong (touch wood). As much as I love the car right now, I would love to spend money on it and make it the coolest daily drive car, and I plan on keeping it for at least another few years. I want to spend money on things that will make it look better, sound better, handle better and drive smoother. The car in its' current state is obviously showing that it has been used for work - high k's, towbar, scratches and minor dints, a few cracked interior parts etc so I am also interested in engine modifications that will keep it running for longer and if not better. The price for a rebuild maybe?

So basically what I am trying to achieve with this post is I want suggestions on what I can do to it to make it cool. If you have one and you have done anything to it that you like, let me know and show me some photos. Also I'd love to know rough prices and whether or not I can do it myself (not much mechanical experience). And if I start getting some replies, then I'll be more than happy to put photos up as I go along. I want to go for sort of a black/red theme throughout.

The car currently has:
- 3.8L V6
- 5 Speed Manual
- Soft Tonneau cover
- 18" black Speedy rims (not sure of more exact details but they look OK)
- Red brake calipers -- Thoughts? I don't mind them but I wouldn't do it if they weren't like that when I bought it.
- It has got an upgraded catback exhaust system that sounds OK but it drones really loud in the cabin and will definitely be replaced down the track.
- Good speakers in both doors and an amp, but I don't care much for an amp in a ute so I might sell it if its worth anything.
- A crappy headunit that has no USB or AUX so I had to purchase CDs. also the antenna is snapped off so there's no radio either

Here is a list of some things that I'm thinking I want (feel free to comment and/or criticize. Or please add to the list if you can!!!):
- Leather interior (seats/door trims)
- SS body kit
- Twin hump hard tonneau cover
- VE Thunder rims?
- Possibly the black Altezza tail lights (since the ute is black it might look good?)
- Altezza Angel Eye projector headlights
- Exhaust (full system - twin tips maybe quad??)
- MAYBE an electric sunroof?

One other thing - is there any engine combination that would still be an NA V6 but to have a 6 speed manual??
I know it would be a big job and a huge investment, so what are the chances it is a viable option?

I'm sure I could go on with thinking about more things to add but I think you probably get what sort of things I want. I know that is an EXPENSIVE list and I probably won't get half of it, but then again, I have years to do it all. Plus I'll be putting money away every week to be like a little 'car fund' so I can get cool stuff.

If anyone has any suggestions or any input, let me know! Or just let me know what you have done to your own utes! I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks guys

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
as at today I cant find a six speed box off the shelf that will bolt on to a VU V6

you may have to alter/custom the bell housing /starter motor setup even tail shaft

scrap the moon roof ..

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
Don't bother about the 6 speed, the V6 wouldn't have enough pull to move the car in 6th, even the LS1 struggles to use it for anything other than coasting at 100+ KPH. Also, my tip, the best thing I ever did handling wise for my wagon was the heavy duty sway bars. made a HUGE difference to cornering, and I plan to do the same to my VU one day.

For the leather interior, look for a wrecked SS and buy the seats and door cards.

sunroofs are damn expensive, I wouldn't bother.

A twin tip exhaust would look good (Again, see my wagon), but I wouldn't run quad as running a pipe to each side (Like my ute) is very expensive, and the V6 doesn't have the gas to fill it. I suggest contacting forum member Not_an_abba_fann about the manta system he sells, as it's the best system i have heard on a 6.

Also invest in some slotted rotors for the brakes. I recently had T2 slotted rotors on my ute, along with QFM pads and the difference is huge, plus they look so much better.

Also look into a REALLY good service, thank about doing things that might have been overlooked by past owners such as struts, shocks, bushes, clutch fluid, brake fluid, diff oil, gearbox oil and such.

As for performance mods, you have to spend A LOT to make a large difference, but the things MACE sells (CAI, plenum spacer) are cheaper and make enough difference to warrant the cost.

Walshy227

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VU S Ute
Thanks guys, I never thought the sunroof would be a great option as it's expensive and a lot of work. I just thought it would look cool. I'll contact that forum member and ask about the exhaust system. Where I live, there are a few BA-BF XR6 Utes that sound incredible and I'd like to sound nicer :)

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
a lot can wear for 300,000 km ute
spend a lot of your attention on suspension

your going to put new rubber on so dont skimp on handling
shocks and springs brakes ... yep on a commy ute a must
replace all the bushes front and rear - ball joints tie rods

the Diff must be ok

pics ..
dont forget the fuzzy dice

Last edited:

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
A set of 3.45 or even 3.7 diff gears will wake it up quite nicely wouldn't hurt to rebuild the diff while your at it

Walshy227

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VU S Ute
Well I got a lovely T-bone from a lady in a stupid Honda so now I have a massive ding in the side of my car :/
@dirty hands, do you know what 6 speed boxes would fit/work well with some customization??

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
I run a T56 box with 3.89:1 ratio crown wheel n pinion, its not a slug by any means and pulls fine in 6th? It doesn't accelerate well in 6 th (being the second over driven gear) but does highway fine though I'd recommend 4.11:1 if I was to do it again...

I'm running a smf billeted with a h/d valeo friction plate and pressure plate, all up cost me $3000 for box ( $1800), clutch / flywheel ($900), cnc laser cut bellhousing adapter ($300) , and bits n bobs like braided hydraulic line, elec connectors for reverse lights nd lock out , tailshaft shorten and weld on new yoke, etc etc

So if you do the diff throw in an LSD center and a new crown wheel and pinion, re shim the cones so might as well say 4K for the drive train......