Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VU / VX Coolant Leak

stovepipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Hey all,
sorry for another coolant leak thread but I cant quite work it out from all the others.

Ive got a VU SS auto. About a month ago I started getting the coolant dash light. I top up, and then the light comes back every 3-5 days or so. It hasnt overheated, as I generally dont drive that far with the light on anyway. I recently drove melbourne to adelaide and back and it lasted the whole trip there, a bit of driving around adelaide, then halfway back before it came up again.

Heres a photo of what I spotted under the drivers side:

anyone have an idea of what's goin on, and how to fix it?

I dont know a lot about cars but am willing to learn. Id rather not pay a stack of money for a garage to take a look at it then tell me itll be another $400 worth of labour, mainly cos im broke. I've just recently had a heap of satisfaction from replacing a dud oil pressure sensor for $40 that I was quoted $300 to sort out, so I'm looking to keep the momentum going :spot on:

cheers

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
could be coming from the radiator, maybe a cracked tank?

looking underneath doth not tell the whole story. You are really going to have to find out where it is coming from.

stovepipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Hmmm damn, any tips on how to relatively easy find the source, or will I have to take it to someone

blacknight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
Are you sure its a coolant leak? could be from the power steering hose. check the radiator coolant level when the engine is cold

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Is anyone else having trouble seeing his pic, there is nothing there on my screen and its not my connection I have adsl2+ and constantly run 15mb/s down and 900kb/s hmmm.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I can see it no prob

As my my thread, radiator side tank is cracked and leaking under pressure.
I have used a repair kit and also released the pressure on the coolant reservior and that has prolonged the inevitable.

For you, could be a radiator tank leak as per are is dropping to.
But check anyway, get under the hood and get a decent torch and have a look.

Im changing everything from radiator, heater tap, thermostat, hoses and coolant.
Most of the gear is original from manufacturer and so it good measure to change it all

Anyway, let us know with ya searching.

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Loose hose
Fractured radiator
fractured reservoir
Or it could be getting into the engine through the inlet manifold gasket