Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vx 2 vy

bwenny 23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s2 exec 6cyl@ 01 vu 6 cyl ute
hi can i put a vx v6 engine staight in my vy [do i have to change computer etc]

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
I don't see why you can't. They're both the same engine so should in theory run the same computer and settings. Don't quote me but there can't be much difference mechanically between the VX and the VY.

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' Series 3 VS S-Pac Ute.
I thought if you put an older engine into a newer car vicroads or whatever higher power ####s on you and refuses rego?

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
I thought if you put an older engine into a newer car vicroads or whatever higher power ####s on you and refuses rego
yup you cant put an older engine in a newer car... also the vy has a bigger sump so i dunno if that makes any difference

bwenny 23

Reaction score
Members Ride
i'll check it out wid em but i wouldnt of thought it wuld be a hassle iff theres no structurel changes ,
i looked at the wreckes websites n their sellin vs vt vx vy motors to suit it i no there out for a dollar but ya thnk there wuld be a few ####ed off people if that was the case {sure theres not like a 5 year time frame or sum kinda loop hole}cheerzzzzzzzz

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
yeah ive heard that theres some law about emissions and some other mods they have done between the VT and VY's .. as far as im awake the VX and VY are exact same motor, but a motor before VX's you might have some trouble with..

And as HaxZaw said the VY's have a larger sump,

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
yeah ive heard that theres some law about emissions and some other mods they have done between the VT and VY's .. as far as im awake the VX and VY are exact same motor, but a motor before VX's you might have some trouble with..

And as HaxZaw said the VY's have a larger sump,
This is how i understand it aswell. As long as any difference in the emissions gear (ECU, dual cats on 2004 models) is carried over to the replacement engine i can't see an issue.

bwenny 23

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah sweet i got onto vicroads {after an hour} and they told me i could as long as it was optional im guessing that means bolts up the same !!