Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX 4L60e into VP

¡Parto!

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive S2
My mate is thinking about swapping his VT Calais for a clean VP V6 wagon with a cooked trans. I’ve got a 4l60e out of a VX, would it be possible to fit that up in the VP? Don’t care about modifying to suit just seeing how much of a hassle it would be if it’s possible to do so.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Be a bit of mucking around as VP uses a cable, VX is electronic. The VP PCM won't run the trans, and being a late E trans then it's not really even suitable for a VR which had the first E trans. It really would be too hard to make it worthwhile.

¡Parto!

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive S2
Yeah from what I’ve seen so far it’s gotta be a complete overhaul as in needing to run pretty much vs loom, ecu, bcm ect. I’m gonna see if the wreckers would trade me a VP trans if not then the dream of the wag will be gone for the moment and money is an issue

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
May not even work properly on a VS PCM being quite a bit later. When it comes to transmissions you ideally want the same one that's in the car.. Even VR had three or four different autos, and they're not easily interchangeable.

¡Parto!

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive S2
May not even work properly on a VS PCM being quite a bit later. When it comes to transmissions you ideally want the same one that's in the car.. Even VR had three or four different autos, and they're not easily interchangeable.
As far as I was aware as long if I got a later model vs that has the 13 pin trans plug on the loom then the PCM should be right to pair with, maybe a few modifications. Not 100% sure but yeah wreckers first thing in the morning if not maybe another day haha

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
V6 T700s are still cheap, save yourself the hassle and just get the box its meant to have. You could go to all this effort and still have a non functioning car/gearbox.....

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I do agree with the above but if you are dead keen on the 4L60e than I'd be looking for a later series VR that should have the 13 pin transmission plug as the PCM is tuned to suit the 3800 V6 running MAP instead of the ecotec MAF system which will need a re-tune to make it run right.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Just do the whole VX eco-tec motor, gearbox and computer swap.

Watched Carnage Garage do the opposite with project Mang and VX motor with VN trans was a nightmare.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Carnage never takes the easy route. Should probably stick to blowing up Barra's me thinks.

Does a burnout with the VX L67 that has a milkshake in the sump and wonders why the bearings are fucked. The first rebuild leading to the broken timing chain was an absolute disaster and a lesson in what not to do, throwing parts at a motor and not making sure they will work together.

About the only decent video they have put out is the last one with the brake booster delete on the VR wagon, the rest is good for entertainment purposes but I wouldn't take it as a guide to doing something.