Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX air con issues

pepstar87

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 SSV M6
My 2001 VX executive is having problems with the air con.

I switch the air con on and there is no air coming from the vents when the switch is on 1, 2 or 3.

When it is on 4 it begins pushing air out, but in 1 second bursts, and the stereo and dash lights start flashing. The AC light also turns off on 4 (weird)

So I swapped the fans over from my dads VX to see if it was just the fan, however it still doesnt work on 1, 2 or 3..but works on 4 fine. The AC light also turns off again on 4??

I changed the fuses, and they're fine so thats not the problem.

Do you think replacing the fan and possibly the switch will fix the problem? As the switch doesnt seem like it is registering when it is placed on 1, 2 or 3.

Or is there anything else that is a common problem that will fix this issue?

Thanks guys.

pepstar87

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 SSV M6
Thanks for the reply.

Is that a DIY replacement? I wouldnt even know what it looked like. Is it next to the air con fan under the glovebox?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I'm pretty sure it is behind the glovebox and it looks similar to the one in the picture below.

Attachments

• Blower-motor-resistor.jpg
    Blower-motor-resistor.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 2,588

vyhbdcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 HBD Calais 5.7 & JH CDX Cruze
Yes you should be able to diy. Just access the resistor by removing the glove box. Remove the wiring connector & locating screws.

pepstar87

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 SSV M6
Thanks guys
Hopefully a new fan and resistor will fix it :)

Haydo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Betty - Supercharged VX Berlina
G'day,
I reckon from what you're describing it may not be the Fan Speed Resistor/Amplifier. I've done the DIY FanSpeedAmp replacement twice, the first time I cooked the transistor cos I was a dumbarse & took it for a 10 min test without remounting it in the air duct. Then it only worked on High until your fault description except mine died completely. Replaced it again, still dead. Fuses test OK, trying some new relays this arvo...

VT_SS

-
Reaction score
Members Ride
EVIL304
aircon

With what your describing i would be forking out the money to get it read properly by a scanning device.It might cost ya $100 but you could spend that and more trying to fix it yourself and alot less agrovation.