Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx Auto transmission selector play

Darcy2000VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Berlina wagon 3.8 litre V6 ecotec
Hey guys need a hand with something. Not long ago the car got a knock under the trans sump and knocked the roller off the gear like holder piece. That happening made the selector stuck in D and wasn’t able to move it forwards or backwards since that as been fixed it was working fine and the other day the selector has so much play in it. Reverse is in Park ish
Neutral is in like Reverse Neutral and Drive

and Drive gear is in roughly 2 and 3 on the selector knob in the car

I’ve had a look and the adjustment in the links are fine but I took the sump off and noticed when my mate was changing through the gears on the knob and I was under neath the bechial watching the roller move it, it wouldn’t go to first and the selector only took it out of (2nd when the selector it self go to Neutral.

Anyone know what’s the problem?
The image is from online not my actual transmissio

Attachments

• 5B6C369C-4667-4A31-A6A4-B259B3576D26.jpeg
    5B6C369C-4667-4A31-A6A4-B259B3576D26.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 192

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
U going to have to check if the shaft and linkage plate isn't catching or if the nut hasn't come loose on the selector shaft, this would make the linkage move from its flat notched out home on the shaft which will make it free spin and linkage staying in one spot after catching. Hope that makes sense.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Oh you will see the nut down the side of the inside where the selector linkage is. You going to have to remove the 13mm bolt that's holding the tensioner then you see the 15mm lock nut, make sure the linkage is on the flat section of the shaft, if not place it back in position and move the selector all the way into park before doing up the nut.

Darcy2000VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for your advice I’ll have a look at that once I’m home but I don’t think it’s the selector at all.

here’s another picture I think might help explain the problem

but from the two images shows how big the gap is. I had the selector button tapped down so I was able to move the linkage underneath the car with my hand. From me moving the linkage between those two positions(shown on images) it doesn’t click into anything just freely moves and nothing is changed in the transmission

Attachments

• 87B0AC65-E3A3-4BC7-BB4E-7CEF014261D5.jpeg
    87B0AC65-E3A3-4BC7-BB4E-7CEF014261D5.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 198
  • 09D6E338-AD4F-4092-8380-A4F85894EFF2.jpeg
    09D6E338-AD4F-4092-8380-A4F85894EFF2.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 179

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yip the Locknut inside has come loose making the selector shaft float in and out of the box, I would say the spacer clip could of falling off between the linkage and trans housing that clips over the shaft also. so nothing can move if the inner linkage is away from its 2 flat landings, Isn't the lever suppose to be facing down where the pan is.

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
The Lever DOES NOT hang down near the Trans Pan,
Remove the nut, and carefully slide the arm off the shaft,
Check the flats on the shaft, and in the Arm to make sure they are not damaged,
then move the selector into the correct position and slide the arm back on, and install the nut and torque it up to the specific torque setting.
If that does not fix it, check the shaft connector at the other end to see if that isn't lose,
And if it is t he actual selector, probably a good s/hand one from a wrecker may be the best choice.

Last edited:

Darcy2000VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers for the help I’ll give it a crack when I can and let you know

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Wasn't sure the position of the linkage but with the shaft moving in and out as your photos suggest only leads to the inside of the trans, fix what I mentioned by pushing the selector into park ( I would remove the outside shift linkage if not already done so first ) remove the tensioner plate and make sure the c clip is on the shaft on the casing side, correctly place the linkage onto the flat landing and do up the nut, replace tensioner now it should move in and out if not remove the neutral switch then try. If all good have the gearbox in park as well as your gear shift in car and reconnect the outside linkage.
Note if its still jamming then something going on inside the valve body.