Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx auto vs manual diff ?

Nico36

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
Hey guys was just wondering if there is a difference between a manual and auto diff off a vx s pac?. I'm getting an auto to manual conversion done and would like to swap the diffs over if this is the case. I know there's stacks of threads on the conversion but none covered this particular question. It's my understanding it would be a slug If I left the old auto diff on?. Cheers guys.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
well here is your answer ...hope it helps

there is a difference of what is currently availiable to fit as ratios in your diff

one type
Holden VT VX VY VZ Commodore 3.73 Diff Gears M80 3.7 gearset M80 3.7 diff

type two
GENUINE VT VX VY VZ COMMODORE 3.91 DIFF GEARS M80 3.91 GEARSET

type three

Holden Commodore 3.08:1 Diff fit VS VT VX VU VY VZ WK WL Sedan Wagon Ute - KLR

from this forum post dated 2011
by kernal : "quote"
The gears go up in these increments; Standard is 3.08 and 3.46, upgrades are 3.73, 3.89 and 4.11. the higher you go the less your car has to work to get moving therefore you will have faster acceleration, however, the higher you go, the less your top speed

its link
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vt-vx-holden-commodore-1997-2002/163678-diff-ratios.html

Last edited:

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Correct you have 3.08s and a LS1 6 speed uses 3.45s factory (I'm not sure on V6 manual diffs) you'll loose a lot of bottom end acceleration but have a higher top end speed aka "a highway diff" ratio. Personally get a lower ratio diff ASAP

VX S pack V6 5 speed with 3.45s or 3.73s sounds pretty good to me. The 3.73s will probably top out at 150-160km but that's speeding anyway so it won't matter

Salada

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S Manual
Factory manual spacs come with the 3.08, and the getrag has shorter gears than the auto anyway, so no it's not gonna be anywhere near a slug, Personally I'd leave it.