Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Calais rear camber questions

nathan173

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
Hello there.

I've got a Series 1 2000 VX Calais, its rear camber is out, has scrubbed the inside of the tyres.

It's got stock springs, and is a bit low/soft from age however I like the ride height and comfort.
I've just upgraded from 16" to 18" rims with 235/40 tyres.

Should I invest in a cheap rear camber kit from eBay or upgrade my rear suspension with one from a newer model with adjustable control arms?

I don't mind a bit of work, I understand both ways will be time consuming and a bit difficult.

I understand its an old car now and don't want to spend a lot of money on it or replacing tyres.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Your best bet is to fit a rear end from a vx series 2 onwards and refurbish all the bushes . The other option is fitting s camber kit which improves but won't fix the problem . There is a thread on here about it

nathan173

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
Your best bet is to fit a rear end from a vx series 2 onwards and refurbish all the bushes . The other option is fitting s camber kit which improves but won't fix the problem . There is a thread on here about it

OK so it looks like its the rear end then, thank you.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
The VX 2 onwards rear sub frame won't fix the camber issue, they just have the extra toe rods. At the stock ride height the camber/toe should be where they need to be, the issue with the Commodore IRS is that the toe/camber change fairly drastically is it swings through it's range of motion.

If it's at the stock ride height I'd suggest you are just suffering from old tired bushes and possibly tired shocks too. The problem will be amplified by low profile tyres which have less sidewall flex and tend to scrub out the edge of the tyre faster.

These guys explain it much better than me Whiteline VT toe link upgrade

Last edited:

nathan173

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
The VX 2 onwards rear sub frame won't fix the camber issue, they just have the extra toe rods. At the stock ride height the camber/toe should be where they need to be, the issue with the Commodore IRS is that the toe/camber change fairly drastically is it swings through it's range of motion.

If it's at the stock ride height I'd suggest you are just suffering from old tired bushes and possibly tired shocks too. The problem will be amplified by low profile tyres which have less sidewall flex and tend to scrub out the edge of the tyre faster.

These guys explain it much better than me Whiteline VT toe link upgrade
Thanks for the info. I may even look at swapping out the springs for some that are a bit higher and putting in new shocks and bushes.