Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Caravan towing

betska

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Complete novice here, so would really appreciate any advice. Looking to tow an old Millard poptop van, tare weight around 560kg, GVM 1200kg and towball needs to be rated over 80kg. Without wanting to sound like a complete idiot, I don't really understand any of the last sentence, as well as not really know what "cable breaking" is.
I'm not a fast driver, but wanting to know if it would be legal for my commodore to tow this van based on the above information? Thanking you all in advance. betska

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
If you have a 1600kg tow bar on the back you will be all good as long as you have brakes on the van (either cable, hydraulic or electric) if the total weight of the van fully loaded is over 750kg, but under 1600kg.

If it is under 750kg fully loaded then you can tow with a light duty towbar and/or don't need brakes.

By the way ATM is Aggregate Trailer Mass and is the Total weight of the trailer fully loaded with anything you want.

The ATM has to be lower then the Vehicles tow bar capacity. So a 1600kg tow bar on a VX can tow up to 1600kg of trailer (ATM)

Last edited:

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Im gonna sounds like a complete twat also

Have a 1600kg towbar with wiring.

Does that mean i can tow a car trailor loaded with a car up to 1600kg?

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Im gonna sounds like a complete twat also

Have a 1600kg towbar with wiring.

Does that mean i can tow a car trailor loaded with a car up to 1600kg?

Yes. With brakes. Of course a car trailer usually weighs about 800kg+ so the car would have to be pretty light, small stripped track car maybe as you would only have around 800kg to play with, maybe a track Lotus Elise.

The towbar capacity weight is the total maximum weight of the trailer and load combined.

The 2100kg Heavy duty tow bar would be better for that. Then you at least get up to 1200/1300kg of car on trailer, could then tow Nissan S13 Silvia/180sx, etc.

Last edited:

b0tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6 Sportwagon
Think about getting a transcooler if you're car doesn't have one.