Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Clubsport - Stupid question regarding fuses

sepsism

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport
Hey guys.

My interior light hasn't worked since I got the car (VX Clubby) so I thought I'd replace the festoon light. Bought the correct one and fitted and got nothing so checked the fuses. The fuse for interior light (under the dash) was completely missing so I bought a pack of new ones (mini blade 10 amp) and tried to fit one (car off, battery still connected), but when I start to put the new fuse in the whole fuse box makes a loud ticking/clicking noise.

Is there a short happening somewhere? Or should I disconnect the battery before replacing the fuse? I know this is basic stuff but I'm pretty new to it all.

I've done a lot of searching on the web regarding this and many people experience the ticking/clicking from the fuse box but only when their car actually won't start.

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Sounds like a short, the clicking would be a relay switching on and off id say, I'm no electrical expert but if it didn't cause any damage,
You could probably find out which relay it is by putting the fuse in while feeling the top of each relay, it'll be the one that has the stronger click, try removing it and then try the fuse, just to test the light, then you'll need to physically check for shorts between the fuse and relay and correct it, where the short is though could be many places and not necessarily in the fuse box, could be along the wires leading to the light or the device controlled by the suspect relay.
A multimeter would come in handy to check for continuity to earth on specific wires, and it may be worth trying a neighbouring identical relay in place of the relay that was clicking when the fuse went in.
Of course leave ignition off during any swapouts.
The roof light is always connected to power by design, might also be worth checking what happens if it's switched on or off during fuse insertion.

sepsism

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport
Bloody legend thanks kais3r, just the info I was after.

Cheers.

Tones

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES2
Is that with the sunglass holder dome light up the front?
I think those globes are reverse polarity?