Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Clubsport - T56 Fluid and Diff Oil

BoostedDave

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII R8
Hey guys,

Looking at recommendations for the T56 and diff in relation to what fluid/oil people use. I see Mainlube come up, but that's out of my price range to be honest - especially as it's only 5L or higher quantities.

It seems that Castrol SAF-XA for the diff has been discontinued, and renamed to Syntrax 80W-140? Is this correct, as it's the only conclusion I can come to in regards to this product. Transmax Z appears to also have little to no listings, has this been discontinued or renamed to another product? I can find Transmax Multi Vehicle and Transmax Type F, but no Z - but this is still listed on the Castrol website.

Are there any other recommendations for recent fluids/products that people have used? Most of the threads seem to date to previous-2011 with some mentions of Penrite etc.

Thanks,

Dave

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Just make sure you get the GM additive, I swear by it - even with diff oil that claims to have it in it.

BoostedDave

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII R8
Great thanks!

I've read some contain the correct amount from the shelf, however is it best to put the additive in yourself? IE. Buy one that doesn't + GM additive. Is the correct ratio 1.6L oil - 0.1 additive?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The VT-VZ max ellery workshop manual says this about the diff oil for V8's-
Use synthetic hypoid gear oil such as
Ampol synthetic gear oil 80W/140.
Caltex synstar GL 80W/140.
Castrol SAF-XA,
Mobil mobilube SHC-140 ID.
Valvoline synthetic gear oil 75W/140.

For the T56-6 speed gearbox it says to use dexron 111 type auto trans fluid.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Differential: Castrol Syntrax 80W-140 looks like it's the replacement for SAF/XA. However, I personally wouldn't be using an additive, and the Castrol note for this product specifically states "Do NOT use any additives".
Gearbox: Penrite Progear 70W75 is the replacement for Penrite Manual Gear Oil 70, which was better than Transmax Z for the T56.

ConstantVelocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS M6
Pennrite pro gear 80w-140 also works for the diff, no additive required, and can be had in a handy 2.5L pack. Probably the same as the castrol.
Penrite Oil - A Better Class Of Oil

"Pro Gear 80W-140 has been especially formulated (and field trial-proven) to reduce chatter and whine in BTR/Dana M78/M80 limited slip differentials fitted to V8 Holdens and Fords as well Chrysler & Jeep vehicles."

Transmax Z seems to be gone, plain old dexron III works fine if you don't want to track down the pro gear 70w-75 which is also tricky to get hold of.

BoostedDave

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII R8
Thanks guys,

After looking around I think the Penrite might be a go. Autobahn and Supercreep don't stock it but can order it in.

Dave

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
Something I found strange when searching for tranny oil was on the back of the transmax multi vehicle bottle it states GM dexiii bla bla bla then says not recommended for rear wheel drive vehicles!? Thanx castrol for making life just that little bit more confusing.

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
Dex 3 ATF definitely for T56, don't forget to fill it up through the speed sensor hole. Yes, Syntrax 80W-140 supercedes the SAF-XA. I recently used both for the same application, both Castrol as recommended by GM. No additives either. All good so far.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
Dex 3 ATF definitely for T56, don't forget to fill it up through the speed sensor hole. Yes, Syntrax 80W-140 supercedes the SAF-XA. I recently used both for the same application, both Castrol as recommended by GM. No additives either. All good so far.

Reverse sensor, not speed sensor :p

im running Nulon full synth dex III in my T56 without a problem.

Diff is running Nulon SAE90 with Penrite LSD additive, dont forget the additive :p