Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Commodore auto gearbox "flares" when changing from second to third gear

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Equipe (LPG)
Hi,

I've got a VX Equipe (V6) on LPG and petrol. Its a low km motor and box - 140k km.

The auto gearbox "flares" when changing from second to third gear - when I am accelerating say up a hill, or from lights. It'll change from first to second no problems - straight into second. Then when its time to go to third it revs up and seems like its slipping. It doesn't do this at very mild acceleration - ie, if I take off and accelerate very gently, it doesn't do it.

Any ideas? I thought maybe a vacuum problem, but I can't see any hoses off or anything.

Thanks gents.

Regards

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
Hi,

I've got a VX Equipe (V6) on LPG and petrol. Its a low km motor and box - 140k km.

The auto gearbox "flares" when changing from second to third gear - when I am accelerating say up a hill, or from lights. It'll change from first to second no problems - straight into second. Then when its time to go to third it revs up and seems like its slipping. It doesn't do this at very mild acceleration - ie, if I take off and accelerate very gently, it doesn't do it.

Any ideas? I thought maybe a vacuum problem, but I can't see any hoses off or anything.

Thanks gents.

Regards

sounds like Low (or overfull like 2-3L overfull) trans fluid, warm the car up and check the level of the transmission fluid.

Otherwise trans need a service or it might be ####ed.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
its an electronic box ... so have it at least serviced .. i thought box faults can be read electronically with a scanner

with the pan and filter off you can have a general idea of the box condition

and while pan is off can change faulty solenoids if needed

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Mine started this 100k ago, 1st to 2nd full throttle it would change like having the throttle on still while changing gear, this was AFTER a auto service, but after 10k on the new fluid it went away. I have been driving it very gently after and done another 100k on the box, totally 282k on it now :) Just be gentle on it and will last. Just make sure the fluid is red and correct level.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Equipe (LPG)
Thanks gents. I've got to go over the whole car, so will drain the fluid and refill with the proper amount - the dipstick says its got the right amount, but you never know.

Actually, after just reading a few VS related threads (like http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...86191-recurring-2-3-shift-solenoid-fault.html) I might grab a new solenoid and stick that in, see if it helps.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply - much appreciated.

gm1961

Reaction score
Hi All

Yeah it could be , dirty fluid / service / solenoid or worn box ,as usually 2&3 is the most time spend in the box

My VP lost 3rd then 4th in 2 or 3 days , i was left with 1&2 , then it was cheaper to fix exchange used box

If you do the service yourself , drop the fluid and check them for colour / dirt / contamination, then the last bit of fluid in the pan check for black spots which will be linings , also your filter may be clogged

regards
george

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Check the fluid with a white cloth or paper towel. Fluid should be almost pinkish when new, by the time it's a deep red the fluid is well past its use by date. If it's brown well.....

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
Thanks gents. I've got to go over the whole car, so will drain the fluid and refill with the proper amount - the dipstick says its got the right amount, but you never know.

Actually, after just reading a few VS related threads (like http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...86191-recurring-2-3-shift-solenoid-fault.html) I might grab a new solenoid and stick that in, see if it helps.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply - much appreciated.

If the filter is clogged, the trans may not be able to make line pressure and why the 2-3 shift is slipping.
Make sure you replace the filter when you change the fluid.
Go to GM with your VIN number to buy. There are 3 different filters, and the parts stores won't know for sure which one you need. You'll find out of they've given you the wrong one on a Sunday afternoon when your car is apart and they are closed..
You may see a heap of clutch "dust" in the pan also. Clean the pan and the magnet that's in there too or you'll contaminate the new fluid and filter. :)