Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx commodore not starting after new ignition barrel installation

Zaccommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 COMMODORE
Hello, has anyone else had this issue? I just replaced my broken ignition barrel for my Vx commodore 2001, the key that came with it has no buttons, the car will crank and turn over and sound fine but then it cuts out and dies right after it starts.
The barrel is abit stiff too turn

Does anyone else know anything about this issue and have an idea what could be causing this?

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
For the record, you don't actually have to have the old fob on the key, you just need it nearby. My ignition is being a dick at the moment, the key won't turn when you put it back in and you have to mess around with the steering wheel and key, turning and wiggling, until it just magically unlocks at some point. So I put my key and the little knob bit in a new empty fob and have been leaving that in the ignition, but taking my actual fob (without a key) with me when I leave the car. It can still be used to lock/unlock the car/boot, but you can't start the car (or it starts and then immediately dies as described by Zaccomodore above) without pressing the fob again once inside the car. Not ideal, but it's saving me a lot of frustration. Also, if anybody knows why my ignition is doing this, I'd love to know.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
For the record, you don't actually have to have the old fob on the key, you just need it nearby. My ignition is being a dick at the moment, the key won't turn when you put it back in and you have to mess around with the steering wheel and key, turning and wiggling, until it just magically unlocks at some point. So I put my key and the little knob bit in a new empty fob and have been leaving that in the ignition, but taking my actual fob (without a key) with me when I leave the car. It can still be used to lock/unlock the car/boot, but you can't start the car (or it starts and then immediately dies as described by Zaccomodore above) without pressing the fob again once inside the car. Not ideal, but it's saving me a lot of frustration. Also, if anybody knows why my ignition is doing this, I'd love to know.

I had a similar problem, where I had problems with the key turning the ignition switch...I cheated and swapped out the column for another with matching key....Problem solved....

Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
If the silver nib on the key head doesn’t contact the slip ring around the ignition barrel, it won’t start. The key blade has to be fitted to the key head and that must remain in contact while the car is in operation.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
I had a similar problem, where I had problems with the key turning the ignition switch...I cheated and swapped out the column for another with matching key....Problem solved....
My key used to turn just fine. Then I didn't drive my car for about 6 weeks and now it has this problem.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
My key used to turn just fine. Then I didn't drive my car for about 6 weeks and now it has this problem.

Mine just did it out the blue one day.....The arvo before it was fine, then the next morning all sorts of fun and games.

So I just thought I'd put up my experience and let you make a decision from there.

Best of luck...

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Do you have a spare key that is not as worn?
If so try that.

Last edited: