Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX commodore plenum chamber captive bolts, how to remove?

GreenMachine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore
Hi fellas,

recently purchased the 12mm and 25mm plenum and manifold insulators for my VX, looks good but I'm having trouble taking the captive bolts out of the chamber?!

any helpful advice? I've tried vice grips on one end and turning the bolt out but no joy.

Cheers.

MACE

Reaction score
GreenMachine,

You can persevere with what you're doing and it should fine. Otherwise you can cut the head of the bolt they should drop out. Once you've done this then re-tap the holes as it sounds like the thread is damaged (which isn't common)

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
Steve

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If the threads are damaged then cutting them off is the better option as you will do less damage to the threads that way. Try a little CRC or oil (on the threads)first but don't waste to much time if they don't want to go.

GreenMachine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore
Thanks guys! all taken care of, just one bolt was stuffed. :beer chug:

love the huge improvement; I can actually launch from the lights instead of chugging after traffic. :smoking:

GreenMachine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore
hey thanks for the hoses/clamps Steve, but looks like mine doesn't need them. JUST long enough to fit clean and tight :beer chug:

thinking of getting the 69mm TB :D

MACE

Reaction score
Thanks guys! all taken care of, just one bolt was stuffed. :beer chug:

love the huge improvement; I can actually launch from the lights instead of chugging after traffic. :smoking:
Ah excellent :D

hey thanks for the hoses/clamps Steve, but looks like mine doesn't need them. JUST long enough to fit clean and tight :beer chug:

thinking of getting the 69mm TB :D
In regards to the hose and hose clamps, you may still want to consider using them them as that vac hose may work itself loose.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
Steve