Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx commodre door not unlocking

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
Maybe something to do with the micro switch in the back of the lock?
I've done some research and built up a theory and possible solutions.
Without getting all sciency, I think it has something to do with the deadlock function. @sprinter1221 - did you deadlock the doors just before this problem manifested? How healthy is your battery? Even if you didn't deadlock it, a flat battery can cause it to deadlock.
First up, try this: turn the key in the driver's door lock while lifting the handle.
@Fu Manchu mentioned the microswitch which makes sense. I know it's hard to get behind the door card with a closed door - I was having a lock problem just like this in a Corolla once and ended up cutting through the door card with a multi tool. Since you don't currently have a window, though, you shouldn't need to do that. Get a good torch and aim it down into the insides of the door. Look for this thing:
microswitch.jpg
It sits about where the red one is shown. This is the illustrious "micro switch" that Fu referred to. It tells the central locking controller if the doors are locked or unlocked, at which time the controller performs its magic trick and tells the door motors to lock or unlock. If yours is stuffed, it's not talking to the controller and no magic is taking place, therefore, no unlocky for you.
With whatever you can get into the door cavity - long screwdriver, needle nose pliers, small child's fingers, unplug that thing. Now try your key.
✦•······················•✦•······················•✦​
Pro tip: I use a short rechargeable LED strip instead of a torch. They are awesome because they're super bright, require very little power (mine is rechargeable), you can lower them into awkward places that torches just create shadows on because other parts are in the way and you can attach magnets to them and stick them to the inside of your bonnet when you're working on stuff in your engine bay.
Just curious - what's the little red security light (the "mode module" one you mentioned)? What speed is it blinking at? The normal slow blink, or a sped up blink?
Let us know what the solution was when you find it. I get a buzz out of being right, so if I am, then you'll make my day. :cool:

Reactions: Lex

sprinter1221

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 vx commodre spac
Without getting all sciency, I think it has something to do with the deadlock function. @sprinter1221 - did you deadlock the doors just before this problem manifested? How healthy is your battery? Even if you didn't deadlock it, a flat battery can cause it to deadlock.
First up, try this: turn the key in the driver's door lock while lifting the handle.
@Fu Manchu mentioned the microswitch which makes sense. I know it's hard to get behind the door card with a closed door - I was having a lock problem just like this in a Corolla once and ended up cutting through the door card with a multi tool. Since you don't currently have a window, though, you shouldn't need to do that. Get a good torch and aim it down into the insides of the door. Look for this thing:
It sits about where the red one is shown. This is the illustrious "micro switch" that Fu referred to. It tells the central locking controller if the doors are locked or unlocked, at which time the controller performs its magic trick and tells the door motors to lock or unlock. If yours is stuffed, it's not talking to the controller and no magic is taking place, therefore, no unlocky for you.
With whatever you can get into the door cavity - long screwdriver, needle nose pliers, small child's fingers, unplug that thing. Now try your key.
Pro tip: I use a short rechargeable LED strip instead of a torch. They are awesome because they're super bright, require very little power (mine is rechargeable), you can lower them into awkward places that torches just create shadows on because other parts are in the way and you can attach magnets to them and stick them to the inside of your bonnet when you're working on stuff in your engine bay.
Just curious - what's the little red security light (the "mode module" one you mentioned)? What speed is it blinking at? The normal slow blink, or a sped up blink?
Let us know what the solution was when you find it. I get a buzz out of being right, so if I am, then you'll make my day. :cool:
Hey I ended up figuring it out the next day.. after smashing the window it still didn't unlock by pushing the door knobs up when i got the bonnet open I put jumper cables to the battery and after a minute or two the key started to unlock the doors and started... but another weird thing before I unlocked it I put the key in the ignition and it started..
Turned out to be a flat battery I charged it and it's been going okay for now fortunate enough I got a window out of a vy and worked out good sorry for not getting back to anyone.
I changed over my alternator to to reassure it not gonna Do it again on me as was hard to source the window! Cheers guys

sprinter1221

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 vx commodre spac
Also yes to the mode module was blinking normal and kms showing on dash I nearly spent 150 thinking it was the key!

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
Reactions: Lex