Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx Driving Lights

P

pest77

You have probably heard this one but I am curious,

The VX driving lights ( I have a VX SS) My partner has been pulled over by the coppers for dirving with them on. They have not booked him, but have cautioned him. Why are they standard if they are illegal.

I personally think they are great for highway driving, are they illegal or is my partner using them at the wrong way

Any help useful, contacted the RAA they said they are fine.

So where do I stand if they pull us over again. We have just put a new exhaust on and it kind of stands out now and I don't want to get picked for something so pissy as lights.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
low beam headlights are directed downwards so as not to cause glare to oncoming drivers. fog lights are not. they are damn annoying when you're approaching a car with them on.

fog lights are for fog.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
We had exactly the same thing happen to us, what the copper told us is that they have the same rules as foglights even though they are clearly driving lights so if it's foggy apparently you can use them. I just wouldn't use them anymore, play if safe which means that you can't put them on auto either What is annoying about it is that I see cops that have them on all the time.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
no driving lights are different again. they can only be used as with high beams.

most cars have fog lights in the bumper, such as the commodore.

C

clinker1212

Hmmm-- I have a problem then. When I bought my VS it had fogs installed in the front spoiler and they come on automatically when I turn the lights on-- they cut of when high beam is engaged... I must have been lucky enough not to have been cautioned/ booked for them. I actually like the look of them being on at night. I have also driven infront of my car at night and they aren't annoying (I could be biast )

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
the law varies between states. in NSW you'll be booked for sure. you aren't allowed to wire them to the headlights tho, i don't believe.

particularly at night with both headlights and fog lights on a vehicle coming towards you, i find it annoying.

Troy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Auto 128rwkw, VZ V6 Lumina wagon stock
Not 100% sure, but near enough to say that you can get booked for have'n em on unless there's fog. There pretty relaxed about things like that where i live but. One thing they do hate but is people not indicating correctly when using round-a-bouts, been crackin down a bit on that one.

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
QUOTE (pest77 @ Apr 5 2004, 11:51 AM) The VX driving lights ( I have a VX SS) My partner has been pulled over by the coppers for dirving with them on. They have not booked him, but have cautioned him. Why are they standard if they are illegal.
This is a known problem with VXs. They are not driving lights. They are poorly aimed fog lights. You need to get them re-aimed. There is a whole thread on this over at www.ls1.com.au:

http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=23352

The police are right. They are not illegal, however, you should only use them in fog.

235rwkw

Reaction score
how do you aim a beam that spreads in all directions, screw it down they will still shine up, they suck.

i painted mine blue not bright at all but the cops didn't like that either, shame.

qld fog fines i think its $35 and loose 1 demerit point.

every 2nd car with fogs has them on these days. i'm going to highbeam 400watts at all cars with bright fogs on, not in the fog or heavy rain. oh and my fogs lol

that should show em what bright is