Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx ecotec bottom end

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
The link you posted means zip. Its designed to suck people in, I was sucked in once.

Obviously you have made up your mind that with K&N you are on a winner.
For race cars what you say maybe true, for street driven cars waste of time and money.

Quote: I want a link that shows the actual filtration of the filter vs others.
You must be really lazy. Search the site I posted early. Plenty on that site.

Reread what I have actually said.

Your posting has told me plenty already.

You mean links like this?
Paper & Foam vs K&N# Oh wait that ones a bit biased...
Motocross Action Magazine | TEN THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT AIR FILTER OIL
https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=oiled+foam+air+filter

But leaving names out of it, oiled foam filters aren't anything new and are often used because they are better in certain circumstances (honda 4 stroke engines come to mind here with a combination paper/oiled foam filter), layers of cotton gauze work much better, i guess instead of engine oil you could go with bar & chain oil with it's modifiers that cling to things better, with a low viscosity so should really catch all the dirt n clog up :)
Doesn't mean paper is better or worse, but if not in a city and saw a lot of dirt roads i'd certainly use something that is better at catching all the nasties (if it breathed better then that's a bonus) even if i had to clean it every 1000 km's.
Although as mentioned earlier if not maintained correctly will do more harm than good with an efi engine.

VX_Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S2
So far with the tuned/reprogrammed ecu/pcm and exhaust you have performance modifications that are banned for p platers as it is, hope the insurance company is aware of the computer mods, they love finding excuses to not pay out.

How are they gonna know if the car is tuned or not?
A tune is not illegal and a catback is not illegal if it's all done properly
And if those are illegal all the things people have done to there cars to that have increased there power over 25% from factory is illegal so I'm not the only one

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
How are they gonna know if the car is tuned or not?
A tune is not illegal and a catback is not illegal if it's all done properly
And if those are illegal all the things people have done to there cars to that have increased there power over 25% from factory is illegal so I'm not the only one

Well a simple way would be to look at the ID in the software with a scantool then look at the sticker on the ecu/pcm, if it doesn't match then.....
As it's easy to do and not a hard ecu/pcm to mod then i'm sure an insurance company will have all the goodies to look into it further.
Anything that changes the emission output from factory is actually illegal, but that isn't the word i used, depending on which state your are in it can be a banned p plate mod though.

You can pretty much do anything you like to a track car, but a road registered vehicle must comply.
But if you didn't notice the tick box on your insurance regarding performance chip or whatever they call it now and you haven't told them then there's a chance they will find out if they need to.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
The link you posted means zip. Its designed to suck people in, I was sucked in once.

Obviously you have made up your mind that with K&N you are on a winner.
For race cars what you say maybe true, for street driven cars waste of time and money.

Quote: I want a link that shows the actual filtration of the filter vs others.
You must be really lazy. Search the site I posted early. Plenty on that site.

Reread what I have actually said.

Your posting has told me plenty already.

It's not designed to suck anybody in, it was a magazine that performed an independent test on those filters. If you got sucked in that's your own fault!
It doesn't say anywhere in that "test" that you have to buy a pod filter or upgrade your paper one anywhere.

I don't even use a K&N filter, but please continue to insinuate that I do & that I think they are the worlds best air filter. All I have done in this thread, is provide a link that counteracted your claim about poor filtration from K&N filters. Again I haven't seen you show anything to prove your claims & no I am not going to search the internet for what your basing your opinion on, because to tell you the truth, I couldn't really care.

You have chosen not to post anything to back up your claim & yet you still try to put words in my mouth and disregard the link I provided, this is why certain language was used in my last post :)

I hope you can understand this, I know it may be hard for you.

VX_Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S2
Well a simple way would be to look at the ID in the software with a scantool then look at the sticker on the ecu/pcm, if it doesn't match then.....
As it's easy to do and not a hard ecu/pcm to mod then i'm sure an insurance company will have all the goodies to look into it further.
Anything that changes the emission output from factory is actually illegal, but that isn't the word i used, depending on which state your are in it can be a banned p plate mod though.

You can pretty much do anything you like to a track car, but a road registered vehicle must comply.
But if you didn't notice the tick box on your insurance regarding performance chip or whatever they call it now and you haven't told them then there's a chance they will find out if they need to.

Well if anything happens I can just put the factory tune and factory exhaust back in and they'll never know

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman

Well if anything happens I can just put the factory tune and factory exhaust back in and they'll never know
It's an issue when the insurance company takes your car after a major accident. Then you're liable for all costs if insurance is void.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-

Will be hard when you're in hospital recovering and is already towed away, or a wrecked car with a exhaust perfectly intact.
All suggestions here are trying to help you out mate. Don't be silly and possibly wreck your future.

The ideal thing is to have a dedicated race car, do what you want, drive it how you want on the track. And if you wreck it no problems you can still get around.

vsv6dude

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 wagon
It's not designed to suck anybody in, it was a magazine that performed an independent test on those filters. If you got sucked in that's your own fault!
It doesn't say anywhere in that "test" that you have to buy a pod filter or upgrade your paper one anywhere.

I don't even use a K&N filter, but please continue to insinuate that I do & that I think they are the worlds best air filter. All I have done in this thread, is provide a link that counteracted your claim about poor filtration from K&N filters. Again I haven't seen you show anything to prove your claims & no I am not going to search the internet for what your basing your opinion on, because to tell you the truth, I couldn't really care.

You have chosen not to post anything to back up your claim & yet you still try to put words in my mouth and disregard the link I provided, this is why certain language was used in my last post :)

I hope you can understand this, I know it may be hard for you.

You have been sucked in. Now trying to back of the myth you promote.
If you claim not to promote filters like K&N and those of a similar type then you need to rewrite all of your posts.

Most auto magazine product tests are usually funded by the suppliers in question in some way or form and the tests usually are NOT independent reviews.

Just for those below who believe the high flow filter myth, THE link below has several links to tests to debunk the K&N myth and other filters of this type, which are not discussed by the high flow filter promoters.

K&N's statement on their filters' ineffectiveness at filtering - AnandTech Forums

You are eating from the wrong tree in the Garden young Adam.

Last edited:

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Seeing you just like to keep arguing.
Yep perfect car for you to modify for more power, just not on the roads with other users.
I'm a p plater and I'm sick of having a slow car so that's why I'm always thinking of ways to get some power

I just don't got the power to hold it sideways long enough but that's what you get from a v6

I was at school last year

VX_zps1wpfr4gt.jpg

Good chance of brain damage if the impact is from the side.
Lost any mates from bad accidents? Known anyone that has suffered for years after a bad accident?
The ones i know never thought it'd happen to them either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.