Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Ectotec Modifications

VX21

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx lumina s1
Hi guys,

Finished the exterior of my car, TIME FOR THE ENGINE :) I'm new to all these engine mod's and have been looking around on the mace site and forums and was just wondering what i should do or what would give me the best gains.

1. I was thinking doing the roller rockers, not too sure 1.9.1 or 1.98.1 which is better?
2. Increased throttle body, like the 69mm one
3. proper CAI intake, might even DIY mine to pick up air from the headlights and from under the car not too sure yet just to make it a bit cheaper

I already have a 2 1/2" lukey cat back system installed and will be doing high flow extractors soon.

My car is also on LPG vapor inject system, will this make any difference for the mods i listed?

Any feedback would be appreciated just so i can start working out what i can do :)

thanks fellas.

MACE

Reaction score
Hi VX21

I'm new to all these engine mod's and have been looking around on the mace site and forums and was just wondering what i should do or what would give me the best gains.

It really depends what type of goals you have in mind, are you just after some basic mods or are you chasing some serious power increases?

If you intend to stay n/a and are looking for the best "bang for buck" then I would consider the following mods in order.

1.98 Rockers
Manifold insulator
Cold air intake
Plenum spacer
Larger throttle body.

cheers

Bart

VX21

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx lumina s1
G'day mate, yer I'm looking to really squeez as much as I can out of her. People say it's illegal for p-platers in VIC to modify even a v6 is that right? If so it won't bother me.

I would be doing it bit by bit. I want to try and get as much as I can, so extractors, roller rockers, throttle, CAI. What else is there?
I'll be looking at around a grand? How many kw's would I expect?

Thanks heaps mate appreciate it.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
G'day mate, yer I'm looking to really squeez as much as I can out of her. People say it's illegal for p-platers in VIC to modify even a v6 is that right? If so it won't bother me.

I would be doing it bit by bit. I want to try and get as much as I can, so extractors, roller rockers, throttle, CAI. What else is there?

not many kw's and alot of money lol ive done pretty much every bolt on u can and u dont gain much at all dude, id just save ur coin til ur off ur p's and get a v8, wish i started saving earlier :(

MACE

Reaction score

Bang for buck I would go a set of rockers, manifold insulator and cold air intake which would around a grand. They're genuine bolt on mods and are completely reversible. As for power gains expect gains of around 15-20kw at the wheels.

not many kw's and alot of money lol ive done pretty much every bolt on u can and u dont gain much at all dude, id just save ur coin til ur off ur p's and get a v8, wish i started saving earlier :(

To get some serious gains out of an 8 (or 6) you still have to spend money there is no if's or buts about that. Yes you start off with more, but once you start going beyond your basic bolt on mods it will get expensive. Sticking to just bolt on/reversible mods on any engine generally represents good value for money and more importantly if you decide to change cars down the track. For arguments sake if you deiced to bring your current car back to stock to jump onto another car I'm sure you'd still get good money for the parts you currently have as they're proven to work well. Beyond basic bolt on mods on any car things can start to get expensive.

VX21

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx lumina s1
Yer mate I wish I could save but I still have 3 more years stuck on my green p's and wouldn't mind a bit more grunt until I can get my hand on my old mans VZ senator !!!! don't mind spending a grand or 2 over 3 years trying to get as much as possible out of her. If I did bolt on's for now and down the track might even charge her or really do her up :) will be doing the extractors CAI and rollers see what else I can afford.

VX21

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx lumina s1
thanks mate, yer i was looking at doing them but i have a lukey 2 1/2 in cat back in at the moment which makes a nice note, just wanted to up it but i think i will just take out the rear muffler to give it that real deep note. Like this guys:
YouTube - ‪Vt commodore exhaust‬‎

in that case i can start doing the bolt on mods next week :) any order i should go with or?

appreciate the help im a major rookie when it comes to engines.

MACE

Reaction score
thanks mate, yer i was looking at doing them but i have a lukey 2 1/2 in cat back in at the moment which makes a nice note, just wanted to up it but i think i will just take out the rear muffler to give it that real deep note. Like this guys:
YouTube - ‪Vt commodore exhaust‬‎

in that case i can start doing the bolt on mods next week :) any order i should go with or?

appreciate the help im a major rookie when it comes to engines.

If you wanted a deeper note you could take out the rear muffler, however you might be surprised as to how the car will sound with a new pod type cold air intake kit. The ideal order to do things would be the following I would go a set of rockers, manifold insulator and cold air intake then so on. However it’s not overly critical as each of these mods work quite well. If you have any more questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

Cheers
Steve

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Yer mate I wish I could save but I still have 3 more years stuck on my green p's and wouldn't mind a bit more grunt until I can get my hand on my old mans VZ senator !!!! don't mind spending a grand or 2 over 3 years trying to get as much as possible out of her. If I did bolt on's for now and down the track might even charge her or really do her up :) will be doing the extractors CAI and rollers see what else I can afford.

ahhh kk well in that case id deff recommend MACE's cold air intake and the insulators + the 69mm throttle body, then get some good high ratio rockers with extractors, to finally finish it off get delcowizzard to do a tune for ya, is it auto or manual?