Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX engine oil

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Got to be wary of over tightening the sump plug as the sumps are alloy and I would assume easy to strip. DOH!:spew:

Also They can seize due to the heat and cool factor everytime you drive your car. I just do it up frim. has not let me down yet lol

Vuman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU 2001 Commo ute
HPR10 is an excellent oil and at $38 or so is great value for money. If the car has 180000kms on it you would need to assess when the brake fluid, coolant was flushed as this needs to be done every 2 years max and also a trans service may be in order if it's been more than 40000kms. Spark plugs are a yearly affair too and a clean of the MAF in the intake with MAF cleaner spray should be carried out every 6 months also along with a throttle body clean. Of course check your pad and rotor condition.

Hi vx6 I recently brought a vu ute 2001 giving it an overhaul starting with the leaking limited slip diff most likely not original in regards to your thread about the oil for your motor I have planned to buy hpr 30 20w60 and on the bottle it has a GM6094M Im also flushing the radiator out

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
I'm about to do an oil change on my LS1 soon as well- the first oil change with me as the owner.

The previous owner tells me he used Castrol 10W60 full synthetic its whole life, and no engine issues. However I did find the car in a small private car yard, and I know they did an oil change. Nobody knows what they put in it, but it hasn't used any oil or given any dramas.

Based on my research, I'm going to try the Nulon 10W40 synthetic, in a 6 litre jug pack, as I've heard they like a little more oil in the sump. The Nulon also comes with moly blended in, and I am a fan of moly, having run it in all my other cars (when a rock hit the sump of my BMW M5 V8, the engine lost most of its oil and still limped on to a servo, was repaired, and the engine lasted another four years with no dramas- I had added moly to it)

I use Penrite mineral in the Centura 265 and am happy with it. And Penrite mineral in the RX-7 and it has been daily driven for near five years now with zero engine issues.

I'd just like to give the Australian manufacturers a go, and support keeping the dollars here in Aus. Penrite is good, so I just wanted to give Nulon a go in the Caprice LS1 and see what they're like.

I reckon go Penrite or Nulon, and keep Aussies employed, and keep us making our own good oils. Don't send your hard earned overseas to the USA or China. We're perfectly capable of making oil here in Australia that is as good as anything you can find anywhere else in the world. That's my take on oils :)

KustomKulture62

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Specialized Hardrock Sports Disc 29er
We use Nulon 15w40 because ours has done 265,000

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
No excuses now for not using decent oil as the big shops sell the psudo full syn Nulon and Penrite for around $50 when on special.
Trick to putting a cooled off plug in the warm sump is put it in loose and let the temps even up before tensioning up.

ab56452001

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn vacationer auto v6 sedan
Hi all , bought a VY once , went to do oil change straight away , peace off p@#s eh !, not plug rounded of and would'nt budge , was really scared of stripping the thread. Ended up welding an old socket on and getting it out like that ! , makes you wonder what the previous owner was thinking ? , cos the oil filter was nearly as bad ? , cheers.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
As the Goose had no skill or feel, he should have used a tension wrench. For warranty I have had to use Holden dealer service. I once checked wheel nuts after they worked on brakes. After bending a proper brace with pipes and **** I took it back and made them use a tension wrench. Was back when the apprentice cheap labour trend started.