Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Exec S2 Fuel gauge not working properly

SaraKen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 Wagon
Hi everyone I hope I'm posting this in the correct section.

Yesterday we bought a 2002 VX and the guy we bought it from told me that the fuel gauge is faulty and when it gets down to quarter full mark it's actually empty! Just wanna know how this can be fixed. I'm not mechanically minded but my father is or we could take it to a repair place...hoping not too expensive??? Any thoughts would be great, thanks

TOMCAT85

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SSV -Redline, Herron White.
I believe my car had that issue just before i bought it, the guy said he had to replace the fuel cell, whatever that is, something in the tank that shows how much petrol is in there i think, im sure he said around 500 it cost him, but im not entirely sure.

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
Yeh i think it will be the fuel sender...in the tank... all Vt-Vx seem to have fuel gauge problems...

SaraKen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 Wagon
Thanks guys. I rang car parts plus and a fuel sender for our model is $165 and my dad will install for us so hopefully this will sort it out :)

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
I had the same issue when I bought the my s2 vx.. Have just put up with it and after a year and a half it actually works fine now. I doubt a fuel sender will fix it as they had a recall back in 2002 which was replacing the sender and it obviously did't fix it

Snap-on

Boilermongrelin
Reaction score
Members Ride
82 VH, 99 VT
Yep fuel sender unit. It is on the side of the fuel pump assy in the tank. It will fix it

fcain71

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlins S2
I found a fuel pump sender on Ebay. It says for wagon but this would be the same as sedan wouldn't it?

Also I have a Berlina which has a 74 litre tank. Would the tank size make any difference?