Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Front door trim (interior)

El Barto

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Commodore Equipe
Hi all, (I have cross posted this here and in the How-to section)

The drivers side handle on my VX is split. I've tried to seal it, to no avail. I am considering replacing the door trim as the easy option.

My question is how do I do this???? :D

The car has power windows and electric mirrors.

Does anyone know what Holden charges for a replacement door trim?? does the cloth insert in the door trim pop out to reuse???

I assume that the power mirror button pops out for easy reinstallation. Is the speaker seperate??

Any advice greatly appreciated. I have also thought of going to the wreckers but am not sure of cloth insert issue (matching it etc)

Cheers

El barto

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
I'm not exactly sure, but i think the cloth insert and speaker can be re-used.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
Speaker is reusuable, as is the cloth insert. I'd go to the wreckers and get a new door trim. You also should go to holden and buy an orange tab for the door lock button which will destroyed in the process ( they only cost less than $1 from memory)

You will need to either drill out or punch a screwdriver through the centre if the orange tab to pick it out, the reason you do this is so that you do not damage the button itself (which is much more expensive to replace than the tabs).

Once you have this out you will be able to lift off the button to reveal a screw- undo this. undo all the other visable screws along the bottom, Could be some on the side too (it was a while ago I did this so not 100) sure at the moment)

From memory under the door handle there is another screw ( you will have to remove the plastic tab to get to it- just use a pin or something small and there should be a little notch where u can stick it to lever the tab off)

Once all the screws are undone lift the door trim off by pushing it in an upwards motion (may have to bash it gently a few times) before you completely remove trim you will have to lift it up and out far enough to get your hand behind and unplug the power windows. After you've done that you can remove the trim. There you will see the speaker (which is seperate to the door trim) and you will be able to remove the cloth insert.

To put back it's just a case of reversing the procedure, however what ever you do, make sure you remember to do up the screw which goes behind where the door lock button goes before you put the new tab in, if not you will be needing to buy another tab- (i learnt this the hard way :cry: )

Good luck, if u need anymore help pm me. ;)

veeque92

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman SeriesII 5.7
you dont need to drill the orange tag at all, easiest is to use a little flathead screwdriver or a fine pointed metal object (such as the end of a power tester). I have done this plenty times with no scratches or problems.

pillbro

sittin sideways..
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx calais, vt calais, vs statesman
im having trouble taking out the power side mirror button on my vx calais. can any1 help me out on how to remove this to take the trim off? there wires soldered on the back. im thinking im guna have to cut the wires? any easier option?? all i want to do in the end is remove the cloth inserts on the arm rests....

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
im having trouble taking out the power side mirror button on my vx calais. can any1 help me out on how to remove this to take the trim off? there wires soldered on the back. im thinking im guna have to cut the wires? any easier option?? all i want to do in the end is remove the cloth inserts on the arm rests....

Get a soldering iron and heat up the solder to remove the wires, always a better option than cutting.