Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Fuel Filter Change

grim-reefer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
Hey sorry if this has already been posted but just wondering how you get the clips off either end of the fuel filter ...
thanks

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
either remove the fuel pump relay until car stalls to drain fuel from line or Hold your breath close your eyes and enjoy the petrol all over you. Push the "hose" towards the filter then press the clips then pull hose away from filter.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
You should buy the proper removal tool from Repco, Autobarn etc. for around $8. I found I had to trim around 5mm off the end to get it to fit properly. Depressurise the system as mentioned in the post above. I also wrap a rag around the end that I am disconnecting to catch any fuel spray. Petrol in the eyes is not very nice - it burns - have some water nearby to wash your eyes out just in case.

Cynstr

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Commodore Series one Exec
either remove the fuel pump relay until car stalls to drain fuel from line or Hold your breath close your eyes and enjoy the petrol all over you. Push the "hose" towards the filter then press the clips then pull hose away from filter.

This here is the best advice on the net so far, I went out and brought fancy fuel line removal tools, and was buggered if I knew how to remove them, then through trial and error, I found that if you follow the above instructions its a piece of piss, though apparently there was alot more fuel in the line than anticipated and I had me a nice flammable shower :/

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Pull the fuel pump relay and start the car. it will chug a few times and stall. you have now depressurized the fuel system.
remember that even when the car is off, the fuel lines are still pressurized to about 50PSI.
remove the filter as described above, refit the relay and you're done.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Once the car has stalled as to the instructions above,
turn the engine over for about a further 10 seconds more, to remove any residual pressure from the fuel lines.
Have something ready, such as an ice cream container under the filter, to catch any excess fuel that escapes,
when you remove the fuel lines from the filter.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
i cant get mine of some dh has stuffed the clip

Attachments

• 20130921_103221.jpg
    20130921_103221.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 4,771
  • 20130921_103159.jpg
    20130921_103159.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 10,833

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
push the tube onto the filter as hard as you can, get some pliers and gently squeeze the clip, pull the filter away from the fitting.
It takes a couple of tries to loosen the ####er up.

BoostedDave

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII R8
Every car I've done in the past, I've done the relay trick as mentioned above, sometimes they are a prick to get off, but pliers help... so does a beer...

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
push the tube onto the filter as hard as you can, get some pliers and gently squeeze the clip, pull the filter away from the fitting.
It takes a couple of tries to loosen the ####er up.

ll give it another try, and see how i go, i dont want to stuff the clip all together