Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Fuel gauge calibration

blacknight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
I got my car outta the shop. Had the fuel pump and filter replaced. The agent told me my fuel tank was extremely dirty and that the filter was clogged and since they have changed to a new filter and cleaned out the fuel tank and replaced the fuel pump. The fuel pump was coated in grey sludge, and there was this 'gunk' in the tank. The fuel filter looked as if it was filtering charcoal dust. the car is now purring like a kitten and 'roars' like a lion!!

before i had the vx repaired, my fuel gauge (distance to empty) reading would never read more than 450km to empty. But now, the reading is showing 590km to empty on a full tank. Is this accurate? I know that this is just a general indication of how much distance the car can cover but i i am wondering if there is a way to calibrate the fuel tank reading. It will take some time to compare the miles i've driven by checking against the odometer.

any ideas? is this normal? or should i just leave it? I hope to post some pics of my vx soon as she got out of the shop with a new paint job.

update you all later ya?

GMMAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L GT35 4runner/VK calais
my cammed VXSS reads 590km to empty when it is full

VT97CALAIS

VT-Best Holden shape!
Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 S1 VT Calais /A4
My VT Calais S1 - reads different distances to empty depending on whether the previous tankfull of LPG was chewed pretty quickly (poor economy, due to hard acceleration). Mine says 450KM most of the time, but once it said 380KM.
Also my VT on LPG (impco system) reads a lower litres / 100km then actual calculations I have done using an Excel spreadsheet! Realistically 18-20 l/100km is what I get.
On petrol I used to get 16.7 - 17l per 100k's

Cheers,
VT97Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 holden omega with factory nav
yeah my vx go's up to 790km on a full tank but im allways on the freeway most of the time but iv had 3 fuel senders done due to being faulty but i was lucky cos they were under warranty when they started to play up

WJD634

WJD634
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
When they replaced the fuel pump they would have disconnected the battery terminal to prevent it arcing and setting fire to your car, when this is done it cuts power to the computer thus it rids itself of recent driving habbits and average kilometers covered by your driving standards and resets it to normal driving standard kilometers coverd. This is perfectly normal and i hope my explanation makes sense lol

WJD634

WJD634
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
My VT Calais S1 - reads different distances to empty depending on whether the previous tankfull of LPG was chewed pretty quickly (poor economy, due to hard acceleration). Mine says 450KM most of the time, but once it said 380KM.
Also my VT on LPG (impco system) reads a lower litres / 100km then actual calculations I have done using an Excel spreadsheet! Realistically 18-20 l/100km is what I get.
On petrol I used to get 16.7 - 17l per 100k's

Cheers,
VT97Calais

lol i get 9.375l per 100k's

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
what kinda driving is that? cos i do fairly good driving but i still end up with like 30 on my vx v6, my ss does about that too, the ss i can expect but my v6 is a bit high

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Holden can recalibrate the system if needed?, Don't know the price.

Or in your car manual, There is something about, Self Recalibration, Try that?.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 holden omega with factory nav
my car was done 7 months ago and it still reads 790km with a full tank

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
my car was done 7 months ago and it still reads 790km with a full tank
If it's reading full on the gauge, You might have my issue, Fuel pump sender unit is toast.

Mine is reading full of the gauge, Plus reading 790km to empty always.