Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Fuel gauge calibration

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by blacknight, Jul 12, 2008.

1. blacknight

blacknight New Member

Members Ride:
    VX Executive
    I got my car outta the shop. Had the fuel pump and filter replaced. The agent told me my fuel tank was extremely dirty and that the filter was clogged and since they have changed to a new filter and cleaned out the fuel tank and replaced the fuel pump. The fuel pump was coated in grey sludge, and there was this 'gunk' in the tank. The fuel filter looked as if it was filtering charcoal dust. the car is now purring like a kitten and 'roars' like a lion!!

before i had the vx repaired, my fuel gauge (distance to empty) reading would never read more than 450km to empty. But now, the reading is showing 590km to empty on a full tank. Is this accurate? I know that this is just a general indication of how much distance the car can cover but i i am wondering if there is a way to calibrate the fuel tank reading. It will take some time to compare the miles i've driven by checking against the odometer.

any ideas? is this normal? or should i just leave it? I hope to post some pics of my vx soon as she got out of the shop with a new paint job.

update you all later ya?

2. GMMAD

GMMAD New Member

Members Ride:
    3.8L GT35 4runner/VK calais
    my cammed VXSS reads 590km to empty when it is full

3. VT97CALAIS

VT97CALAIS VT-Best Holden shape!

Members Ride:
    1997 S1 VT Calais /A4
    My VT Calais S1 - reads different distances to empty depending on whether the previous tankfull of LPG was chewed pretty quickly (poor economy, due to hard acceleration). Mine says 450KM most of the time, but once it said 380KM.
    Also my VT on LPG (impco system) reads a lower litres / 100km then actual calculations I have done using an Excel spreadsheet! Realistically 18-20 l/100km is what I get.
    On petrol I used to get 16.7 - 17l per 100k's

Cheers,
    VT97Calais

4. commodore king

commodore king Vx

Members Ride:
    2010 sportswagon
    yeah my vx go's up to 790km on a full tank but im allways on the freeway most of the time but iv had 3 fuel senders done due to being faulty but i was lucky cos they were under warranty when they started to play up

5. WJD634

WJD634 WJD634

Members Ride:
    VT Executive
    When they replaced the fuel pump they would have disconnected the battery terminal to prevent it arcing and setting fire to your car, when this is done it cuts power to the computer thus it rids itself of recent driving habbits and average kilometers covered by your driving standards and resets it to normal driving standard kilometers coverd. This is perfectly normal and i hope my explanation makes sense lol

6. WJD634

WJD634 WJD634

Members Ride:
    VT Executive
    lol i get 9.375l per 100k's

7. Ripcell

Ripcell R8 FTW!!!

Members Ride:
    324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
    what kinda driving is that? cos i do fairly good driving but i still end up with like 30 on my vx v6, my ss does about that too, the ss i can expect but my v6 is a bit high

8. Full Spectrum

Full Spectrum Bro it's a VW your Audi!

Members Ride:
    Berlina V6
    Holden can recalibrate the system if needed?, Don't know the price.

Or in your car manual, There is something about, Self Recalibration, Try that?.

9. commodore king

commodore king Vx

Members Ride:
    2010 sportswagon
    my car was done 7 months ago and it still reads 790km with a full tank

10. Full Spectrum

Full Spectrum Bro it's a VW your Audi!

Members Ride:
    Berlina V6
    If it's reading full on the gauge, You might have my issue, Fuel pump sender unit is toast.

Mine is reading full of the gauge, Plus reading 790km to empty always.

11. MrSirWantalot

MrSirWantalot New Member

Members Ride:
    FPV GT-P Boss 335 & 2000 VX Berlina 5.7lt (toy)
    Ouch!! mine is 320kw & I get 12l per 100k's

12. MrSirWantalot

MrSirWantalot New Member

Members Ride:
    FPV GT-P Boss 335 & 2000 VX Berlina 5.7lt (toy)
    In regards to fuel pumps n that, I had installed a brand new genuine fuel module ( pump & sender ) & ever since then my fuel gauge has never read correctly. As soon as needle hit the red I fuel it up but only takes 50ish litres n holds 75. When its full the needle is about 5mm off the full mark, everytime. And everytime it will either read 590ks to empty or 600.......I hate fuel gauges not working correctly!!

13. wrx884

wrx884 WA's ASR Rep

Members Ride:
    VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
    since u got a VX try using the hidden trip menu and see wat ur fuel needle placement is at atm. should b right on the half way mark.

14. VFCalais2017

VFCalais2017 New Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V6 MY17, VX Calais V6 2000
    Hi all,

This is an old post but it covers the issue I'm having with my VX Calais V6 at the moment.

I replaced the original fuel pump in my car yesterday afternoon. It was operating fine to supply fuel however the 'fuel remaining' on the dash was erratic when approaching empty. Before starting the job yesterday, the dash showed 0 kms remaining. When I removed the tank, there was 25L of fuel remaining inside!

After I completed the job and put the same 25L back in the tank, the dash showed 15 kms remaining. I completely filled the tank this morning and the dash then read 790 kms to empty. I drove the car for 12 kms after which the dash read as 660 kms remaining.

I read in one of the posts above that after replacement of the pump and the battery is reconnected, the fuel gauge will reset and 'calibrate'/stabilise itself. Is this true or do I have an issue elsewhere in the system.

One thing I noticed with the replacement was that the new pump I purchased from Holden (Part No. GM-92158011 - DELPHI) was slightly different to my original. The new pump was slightly shorter and had two flexing pipes running from top to bottom. The rheostat for the fuel gauge was also slightly shorter in its travel. The original fuel pump had three rubber feet on the bottom and a 'filter' sock on one side.

Holden assured me that this is the correct pump for my VIN however I'm concerned that it isn't. Looking on eBay, I found the same pumps as the one I bought from Holden recommended for my VIN number. However, I found that the ones advertised for the Supercharged V6 are identical to the original one I removed from the tank.

Could it be that Holden installed the wrong fuel pump/gauge from factory? I've heard things like this have happened before. I'd hate to have to re-do the job as it took a few hours. I'm happy to keep the pump in the tank as long as it doesn't let me down.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Replacement Pump
    New Pump.jpg

Original Pump
    Original Pump.jpg