Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX II Hand Brake Anomaly

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
hey guys any update? I seem to have the same problem.

What have you done to remedy it? Everything as described in this thread? We can't help you unless we know where you're at with your process.

Sent from here, so you can read it there. via iPhone.

Whitey180

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz 04
I've got the same issue on my vz ute. Wasn't holding in forward or reverse, tightened at wheels and then at handbrake lever, was good for a few days and then back to normal.

Took it to the mechanic, he replaced the shoes was good for about 2 weeks and now it's happening again. :-( only holds in forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Joelene

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
This is the second VX II I have owned with this handbrake problem.

I have adjusted the handbrake shoes in the read hubs for a close fit, that is I can just slide the drum back on.

The hand brake works very well in a forward motion, but park on a slight slope ( backwards ) and the hand brake will not hold. Locking the gearbox in PARK is the only thing stopping the car rolling backwards.

The handbrake shoes look OK and the car has only done 115,000 Klm.

This is even dangerous, but it just passed registration in NSW.

I would appreciate any ideas on this problem.

Cheers All
The solution to this problem is to replace the brake shoes. No amount of adjustment will fix this slipping problem in reverse as the brake shoes are worn. A genuine set of two will cost around $110 trade from Holden or after market around $69.
The fix is quite simple.
1. Remove rear wheels. 2. Remove brake calipers and disk pads. 3. Remove Brake disks. 4. Flick upper bracket holding top of brake shoe off with a screw driver by pushing it down off brake shoe. 5. Take off tension spring. 6. Move brake shoes up and off adjustment screw. Manipulate brake shoes over hub. 6. Install new shoes in reverse procedure. Holden provides written procedure with genuine parts purchase.
Set the brake shoes to a total circumference of 189.65 mm with some outer calipers. Then no adjustment at the brake shoe is necessary. (This is a pain in the A and never works trying to flick the adjustment screw through the disk brake hole so don't bother).
Disks should slide over new shoes with a tight fit. Adjust handbrake inside vehicle by removing handbrake cover. 3 to 5 clicks.

moriati

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s
I had the same problem it was the disc rotors the got worn on the inside where the shoes make contact with disc rotor the shoes had made a channel like a deep groove in the rotors and it made no difference how much i tightened the cable they would not grab in reverse so i replaced the rear rotors problem solved so remove your rotors and inspect the inside of them and you will see what i mean if thats your problem witch i think it is.