Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX II S - Fog lamp set up ~ Ideas and knowledge appreciated!

Simmo93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S-Pack. :D
Okay,

So, I rather love the way my car is, but who doesn't want to upgrade?!
I know there's several threads that I'm (not so successfully wading through to find what I need.)

Basically I need some major advice on these factors;

1) What wiring systems will (or should) already be in place, what do I look for?
( Both behind the cluster and connection of the lamps.) As its a part of the factory body - I'm assuming it's all ready to go?!

2) Cut a hole for the Fog light button, or replace the Fascia? Basically, $100 for an SS one from holden (with the light slot) ~ or at least so I read on the forum somewhere.
3) Holden buttons go for somewhere between 50 and 80 (depending where from) - how complicated is the adoption of another switch?!
4) How strongly would you recommend Holden lamps vs aftermarket? Heard a lot about bracket issues on the latter

5) And more lightly and oppinionative; Thoughts on a respray of the whole Fascia and the centre console surrounds to the silver colour of my car?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Michael.

Killr6

tutut
Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR6T
1. all your wiring should be there already, behind the fascia and behind the front bumper. so all ready to go.

2. which ever you find easiest.

3. holden fog light switch's are cheap, i picked up one for 5$ from wreckers, so try them before ebay.

4. not sure, ive never used aftermarket.

5. a respray on the fascia is very easy to do yourself, get a bit of sandpaper, primer, paint, and a can of clear coat.

vxcustom

VXXX
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx v6 executive
I have my running lights (they are not fog lights) set up to come on when i put my park lights on. I used aftermarket lights as I only have an executive model, ran power from the battery to a fuse then to a relay which I placed near the battery, then power from relay to lights and then lights to earth. To get the lights to turn on and off I found the park light wire in the loom (so I didnt go destroying the internal wiring of the lights) and extended that wire so that I could connect it through the relay. Now as soon as I turn my park lights on the relay switches on and my daytime running lights also come on. By having the main power feed seperate from everything else if there ever is a problem with the lights they are easy to sort out being a completetly seperate circuit.

No worrying about switches in the cabin, trying to find looms etc. Very easy and took about 15 minutes in total to do. You cant even tell that it is an aftermarket install, all the wiring still looks factory and its only if you go poking around and down behind the battery that you can even feel the fuse and relay so I am pretty happy with the results.